Sub started smoking?

I did the cooling and eztra spiders...yeah I havd everything wired right on the fi sub and on the pioneer...so what is the answer to the question about powering...is it not good to overpower a little? And if the mmats amp is delivering too much power...if I backed down to a 1000w amp I wouldn't be able to over power the sub then correct...?

i think his wiring is incorrect as well. there's definitely a short some where. check all them fuses and what awg wire is you using?

Okay....sorry for the stupidity but I'm trying to learn...

If I have an 1150w rms amp and a 1000w rms sub and the voulme is turned to let's say 25%, is my amp putting out 1150w rms or is it only putting out like 300, and when I turn it up past like 75%, then am I hitting 1150w? I am ignorant and thought that if I had an 1150w rms amp, the most power I will put out is 1150w rms regardless of volume level and that the sub would never be getting more than 1150w. Also does overpowering the sub hurt it or no?

Sorry...to answer the questions...0awg power/ground wire(stinger), like 30awg remote wire(like 2 strands, some off brand), and 10awg speaker wire..I could understand the hunch that I wired something wrong but one sub blew(the fi in series), and the other sub is on the way(pioneer in parallel), id have t have wired them both wrong...I'm going to rerun my remote wire, power, and ground with 4awg cause its more flexible...unless you guys think that's a bad idea? Also...I have a stock navi headunit so for my rca's...I have this jl thing which taps in to the right speaker and left speaker and has rca outputs...I have the bass the whole way down on the headunit and the treble/mids the whole way up, would that be a problem?

sub started smoking=blown sub
I have a feeling you didn't read much of the thread or anything I posted...

would I be alright dropping down to 4awg or should I stick with the 0awg...I never plan going past 1200w

It's not hard to roast most woofers with 1200 watts. You are simply exceeding the thermal limits of those woofers. You might want to consider a stronger sub if you're smoking your subs to get the sound you want. I'd say a larger sub as well, but if you have a box built for a 12, find a 12 that'll handle 1200-1500W continuous that'll play well in your box.
Dunno what your other sub is supposed to handle, but the Q is only rated at 1000W. It's like if you have a sports car and run the engine red-line constantly and wonder why you blew the engine. Run it up to max here and there and you're fine, do it for 10-20 minutes and you're likely to have some problems.

Gain up or down has nothing to do with nothing, if the sub is smoking you are driving the sub past it's limits period.
Listen to this person right here...

stick with the 0 gauge wire. honestly i think you are getting a clipped signal somehwere. maybe that jl l.o.c. is turned up too high and sending nasty signal to your amp. a fi q should hold 1150 on music for more than 10-20 minutes unless you listen to **** like bass cd's. keep everything and try this..........

turn down the levels on that jl l.o.c. i think it is one of your problems. after you turn it down , turn the gain on your amp up a little to compensate. also try running the midrange and treble on your deck at 0 and leave your bass where you have it. cause with them maxed out it may be causing your factory deck to clip which in turn sends a clipped signal to the l.o.c. which converts that clipped speaker signal into a clipped rca signal , which finally that nasty signal gets amplified to 1150 watts and the final outcome is your sub gets 1150 watts of nastiness and eventually it gives out.

First, make sure the music you are listening to is good quality...not some poorly recorded limewire song. Next, turn the l.o.c. down on the JL. Then, rerun all the wires but the power wire, and don't tuck them. Get some better remote wire. Replace any fuses related to your audio system. Redo the wiring to your sub with new wire, keep it at the same resistance. Turn your gain up to the same level it was at with the l.o.c. at whatever level it was at. After all of that, if you still have an issue, then it could have something to do with your amp :/ Doubtful, but possible. It shouldn't take long to rerun wires without tucking them, or cost much for new speaker and remote wire, so it would be in your best interest to do so in order to eliminate all the easy solutions.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.