sub doesnt sound the same

gonzalgi21
10+ year member

i have a 12 inch kicker l7 2 ohm and i recently bought a jl audio 1000/1 for it (both pictured). when i first got my 1000/1 soon as i hooked the amp up i notice i had a lottt more bass than my last amp and the gain on the amp was basically all the way down and i dont even use bass boost, in a nutshell the amp was putting out the power its supposed to. that was about for 2 months i had that combo together my only problem was that my box was broken and it was tiny (way too small for my l7) therefor i constructed a new sealed box (the old beat up box was also sealed) to manufacturer specs and now i find myself turning up my gain about half way just to feel the bass and after that its not even half as solid and loud as it was before. basically my 1000/1 feels like a 300 watt amp right now and i dont know why all i did was make a new box and simply but the sub in it and reconnected it to my amp. any thoughts of what my prob could be?

wi65jl.jpg

both boxes were sealed only difference is that now i have the right size box. im going from sealed to sealed so i know that cant be the problem.... the sound is a night and day difference i BARELY have any bass right now.

Or just put it back in the old box. I would seriously recommend going ported though. At one point I had a L5 15 and ran it sealed and ported and ported as night and day difference.

It's possible maybe when you put the new sub in you wired the coils up in series instead of parallel like they used to be? If that's the case, the sub would simply be seeing only a fraction of the power. I'm guessing you had that D2 sub in parallel before and ran the amp @ 1 ohm. Is it possible you switched it and you're running it at 4 ohms right now. Instead of seeing 1k watts, you might be seeing like 400.

its still running parallel i didnt touch the coil wires at all i simply removed the sub from the old box and placed it into my new box. but today im going to put it back in the old box to see if its the box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.