Sub builders/designers.. lets talk sq subs.

02parkave
5,000+ posts

Banned
Alright.. for anyone who builds/designs woofers (or knows about it) have a few questions to ask... (i have already spoke with one of them, and got great advise.. but more is always helpful!)

using no special woofer motor/coil technology (split coil, xbl, lmt, etc.) what would you look into for building an efficient sq woofer. as far as coils, cone, spiders, etc?

Coils..

I am assuming copper coil, non flat wound? but as far as formers.. what would you recommend?

assuming that you have any at your disposal (ti, alum, black alum, kapton, etc)

spiders..

I am assuming with sq, large diameter spiders are not needed (as huge excursion is not needed)? (i.e. 10" and such) 8" poly cotton?

cones/surround...

What would be the choice here? for cones.. i have access to ti, alum, nomex (as the tc oem10) paper, glass fiber, kevlar, and some composite cones

surrounds- rubber or foam?

any thoughts are appreciated..

for reference.. tc9 motors, with 600 watts to each..

in all honesty when i designed the new Bazooka bass tubes, i used xb17, its much like the RE stuff, but much better aswell.

i actually went to the caliope projects to get my best employees. they helped with the R and D to design my new woofer. enjoy!

first question needs to be how much money are you wiling to dispose?

second

exactly what your trying to accomplish? a flat bandwidth, small box woofer? or a woofer that just sounds excellent and get stupid loud? generally just simply picking parts out will result in pretty poor performance unless you really sit down and figure mass, etc... as for SQ there are trade offs... just as anything..... most importantly finding adhesives that are ideal for your materials and application...

http://www.aremco.com/

http://www.bondmaster.com/hightemp.asp

CA glue works fine on the spider/cone joint and the spider to basket pretty mush any epoxy will do..

essentially keeping inductance low(again not a huge deal) means lower b/l and smaller coils... inductance isn't a bad thing if its out of the usable bandwidth..... but note as excursion increases so does inductance on the rearward stroke and decreasing on the forward stroke...

the real key it to make sure everything is as linear as possible.. many many spiders are non linear just because of the design.... so some company's choose to have mirror spiders but 180degrees off each other to help KMS curves to be symmetrical on BOTH the forward and rearward stroke...

some things to look for in spiders are what material is going to be reliable, remand linear in the excursion range you choose and be cost affective.... size can play a large roll.. although size isn't the only factor.. corrugation heights play a large roll in stiffness and excursion as well as reliability.. which will work for your design is Dependant on what you want to accomplish with the woofer and the box size/tuning that would be ideal.. chances are the 8.5s will suffice although small wouldn't hurt if its designed correctly..

cones are less difficult... after you have he desired power handling/electrical damping/mass/b/l then you need to chose a cone that will compliment the output levels and the weight guidelines... a good paper cone will work excellent... if you not looking at more than 500 per driver a non pressed paper cone mixed with say kevlar or fiberglass etc... would work fine as well

first question needs to be how much money are you wiling to dispose?second

exactly what your trying to accomplish? a flat bandwidth, small box woofer? or a woofer that just sounds excellent and get stupid loud? generally just simply picking parts out will result in pretty poor performance unless you really sit down and figure mass, etc... as for SQ there are trade offs... just as anything..... most importantly finding adhesives that are ideal for your materials and application...

http://www.aremco.com/

http://www.bondmaster.com/hightemp.asp

CA glue works fine on the spider/cone joint and the spider to basket pretty mush any epoxy will do..

essentially keeping inductance low(again not a huge deal) means lower b/l and smaller coils... inductance isn't a bad thing if its out of the usable bandwidth..... but note as excursion increases so does inductance on the rearward stroke and decreasing on the forward stroke...

the real key it to make sure everything is as linear as possible.. many many spiders are non linear just because of the design.... so some company's choose to have mirror spiders but 180degrees off each other to help KMS curves to be symmetrical on BOTH the forward and rearward stroke...

some things to look for in spiders are what material is going to be reliable, remand linear in the excursion range you choose and be cost affective.... size can play a large roll.. although size isn't the only factor.. corrugation heights play a large roll in stiffness and excursion as well as reliability.. which will work for your design is Dependant on what you want to accomplish with the woofer and the box size/tuning that would be ideal.. chances are the 8.5s will suffice although small wouldn't hurt if its designed correctly..

cones are less difficult... after you have he desired power handling/electrical damping/mass/b/l then you need to chose a cone that will compliment the output levels and the weight guidelines... a good paper cone will work excellent... if you not looking at more than 500 per driver a non pressed paper cone mixed with say kevlar or fiberglass etc... would work fine as well

I know about the materials used and such, and inductance, and the t/s specs and all that. i build subs on the side (have for a while) i just haven't ventured into the sq world yet.. hence the questions

i am curiously waiting.....maybe you can cut me a deal on some that you make in future. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.