Starting a new project - Mustang

Crossfire26

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to install a system in my 2007 Mustang (Shaker 500) and I just wanted to get some opinions before I proceed.

So far I have:

Alpine PDX 4.150 4 channel amp

Kenwood DDX6019 double din DVD/GPS screen.

I'm looking to upgrade the Shaker 500 with some new speakers and a sub for some extra bass, I don't want anything too wild but I do want it to hit hard so...

1. As far as the amp goes I know it's not the ideal option for a sub, but it is a very good amp and I want to keep it. So I plan to use the first two channels for the front speakers/tweeters and bridge the other two channels for a sub. How much wattage does this give me for the sub?

2. As far as the navigation, I plan to run everything off the Kenwood screen. I'm going to attempt to install it with the Garmin navigation it came with and iPod connectivity. Easy to install?

3. For the speakers I was thinking about getting Alpine Type S component speakers, but since I will have a sub someone suggested Infinity speakers for greater sound quality. Any suggestions? I know I will lose the rear speakers with the sub on the 4 channel amp, do you think new front speakers/tweeters will be enough?

4. Finally for the sub I was thinking about getting a 10" Alpine Type R. This seems like a good option, the 12" is only $30 more but I want to make sure it will fit in the trunk. Any suggestions for a sub or box? Is one sub enough for the S197?

5. What type of wiring kit will I need for all of this? Is there anything else I need to know or am missing?

My friend has installed a system in his own car and it worked out fine. We're going to try to install all of this ourselves. Will it be fairly easy?

Sorry for so many questions!

Thanks

I own a 2006 Mustang GT so I am going to warn you of a couple of caveats.

1. Infinity speakers ****! I had a set of four 6x8s (682.7cf) in mine and while they were a slight improvement over stock, they had HARSH highs that were only worse upon adding amplification.

2. The Shaker 500 Door "subwoofers" are phased weird and could cause cancellation with your trunk mounted subwoofer should you try to use them together.

3. The trunk ***** and has an odd opening as well as some odd dimensions. I know of some who built their enclosure in the trunk!

Other than that, the car is fairly easy to work on. PM me your email address and I will send you the instructions on how to disassemble everything.

ETA: Here is an easy way to run a power wire into your Mustang:

1. Remove the fender lining on the passenger side.

step1.jpg

2. Locate the wiring harness where the antenna runs in (see orange wire)

Step2.jpg

3. Cut the rubber nipple off and run your wire on through. You will easily be able to see it on the other side of the firewall:

Step3.jpg

I was able to squeeze a 1/0 wire through mine with no problems! I forgot where I stole the photos from, but I have to thank that guy for the inspiration. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Sell the mustand and get a real mans car! Lol j/k

I would do comps up front and coax in the rear with a small amp for sub stage.

the trunk on any mustang suxs! I owned a 96. And buiilt most of my boxes in the trunks. And my last system I used the back seat n trunk as a box.

Big 3 under the hood 1/0

1/0 from front to back to a distro block and 4awg into amps

ok the ddx shouldnt be hard at all to install, if you wanna use the garmin nav you need the nav add on module

the pdx when dridged will give you 300rms for your sub, which would be good for a single 10 or 12 setup. IMO single 12 would be ur best bet.

I wouldnt bother running rear speakers at all get a nice set of components for up front, you will have to build plates to get a 6.5 in there since its factory 6x8. Polk MM is a nice budget friendly components

Its not a hard car at all to install in

I have an 05 GT 5spd

Alpine HU older model - forgot which one

PPI DCX1000.4 amp

Elemental Designs EDI 9.65is in the doors (beautiful midbass)

2x Elemental Designs 11kv's in the trunk sealed, will be ported soon maybe

With just a pdx amp you really dont need to do the big3

Oh yeah I dont run the shaker door subs at all or rear speakers

Ok, I believe I'll replace the front doors subs with a component set up, I guess I need to do some more research. I won't be using any of the rear speakers, but I'll run channel 3 and 4 bridged to a single 10 or 12, havent decided. And I have everything for the DDX and Garmin so yeah...

Oh for the 05-09 Mustang owners...can you post links to a box that will actually fit in the trunk? Most people say they have to go custom because of the odd shape of the opening...

This fit just fine, but you really don't want to know how much it cost:

Sub.jpg

Then again, you could also try this site for custom enclosures: http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php?productid=48&cat=16&page=1 The only downside is the enclosures are sealed.

IIRC, there was a pre-fab, ported, dual 10" Memphis enclosure that fit perfectly in the trunk of the newer Mustangs.

ETA: This place also has some: http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-up-Ford-Mustang-Sub-Box-Enclosure-2-10-Subwoofers_W0QQitemZ380125775901QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item588143081d&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14

If you want anything more elaborate, you are going to need to locate a custom builder or roll your own enclosure.

Sell the mustand and get a real mans car! Lol j/k
I would do comps up front and coax in the rear with a small amp for sub stage.

the trunk on any mustang suxs! I owned a 96. And buiilt most of my boxes in the trunks. And my last system I used the back seat n trunk as a box.

Big 3 under the hood 1/0

1/0 from front to back to a distro block and 4awg into amps
x2. I did a custom build for a guy; 2 ultra 10's and wanted to kill myself for taking on that job. Not enough trunk space to slid enclosures in. As for the head unit install piece of cake

i have a 99 mustang and im going to fiberglass an 8" in the side so i dont lose too much space. i HATE mustang trunks lol. good looking plan though.

did the same with my 94. new mustang rear seats are inpractical im 58 and my head hits the ceiling when i sitting at a slouch take the rear seats out and fibergall a pretty ported enclosure with a pair of 15" subs check out allfordmustangs too theres some helpful people on there just dont swear they might ban u...

1st setup

l_78a3d711eab57e02176803ed035de314.jpg

2nd

l_4b312c28313142670b195e772492cef4.jpg

3rd with a pioneer tsw8102spl.

l_a4a4f2d8faec4dea82954cd7980bf252.jpg

sorry for the hijack but figured i'de show u some pictures. none of mine were finished but you could deffinalty do a nice job. you might just want to look into a rear seat delete kit and the find a box that fits ontop of that.

^^^^ i hate to say it but that interior is hideous //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.