Stand Alone Alt.

Gearstix
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I got a 2005 V6 Chevy Blazer. 4.3.

I may figure out how to make a bracket to bolt up a second alternator.

I'm just wondering is the a GM alternator that I can use, that is stand alone and not computer controlled, so I can run it right into my buss bars in the back? Would this be a 'one wire alt'?

look for a late 90's yukon alt.... my buddy is running one as a second alt. his is internaly regulated and i believe is a one wire.

when adding an extra alt using the one wire ford or GM unit you will need a small light bulb in line on the exciter wire to give about a half ohm resitence this will triger the alt on . a second alt is easily done if you use a second battery. if not using a second battery it turns into a real headach that isnt even worth going into talking about. this is kind of a side note but goes along with alternator installs and big three info the size of wire from battery to alt should not be larger than 6 guage acording to some alternator manufactuors because they claim the larger wire will burn out the first diode.

when adding an extra alt using the one wire ford or GM unit you will need a small light bulb in line on the exciter wire to give about a half ohm resitence this will triger the alt on . a second alt is easily done if you use a second battery. if not using a second battery it turns into a real headach that isnt even worth going into talking about. this is kind of a side note but goes along with alternator installs and big three info the size of wire from battery to alt should not be larger than 6 guage acording to some alternator manufactuors because they claim the larger wire will burn out the first diode.
no...atleast not the way i have learned it. A one wire is just that, one wire and you have nothing else to mess with. Now when you start using other alts with multiple connections you will need a bulb or resistor inline with an ign hot wire. You do not have to have a second battery to run another alternator? although most who use another alternator have way more then 1 battery

no...atleast not the way i have learned it. A one wire is just that, one wire and you have nothing else to mess with. Now when you start using other alts with multiple connections you will need a bulb or resistor inline with an ign hot wire. You do not have to have a second battery to run another alternator? although most who use another alternator have way more then 1 battery
yep your right i got off the one wire alt story and into stock alts somehow. and i wasnt saying you have to have a second battery i was saying that it is less complicated to have each alt runing to a different battery. i have done it both ways and i like having mine set up like two complete different systems.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.