sounstream ega 1700d problems

Participant count
  • Participant list

dirtbikes4fun02
10+ year member

i have a soundstream ega 1700d that i have been running two aluminum eclipse 15's with and have had ZERO problems with...

but then all the sudden on my ride home some bass is hitting harder than others (kinda like somebody is unplugging one of my rca's and plugging it in at random times), so i shut it down and check everything when i get home, and nothing, no more problems...

well, the next day same thing but worse, my subs sound blown at random times and week at other times... so i check on the amp when i get home with the volume all the way down and i look at the amp, the protect light and the power light are both blinking back and forth really crazy and i pushed on the cones of my subs and i can hear the sound of the voice coils rubbing, so i was like F**K...

after i disconnect the amp the subs flex fine and no more scratching... i checked all my wiring and all of my connections (even ran new ones to double check), and i cant fix this **** thing from blinking and going crazy...

the amp never shuts off completely and will play even though the lights are crazy it just sounds like the subs are blown badly... i have opened the amp and looked for bad connections or burnt spots on the board and nothing. i have ohmed the mosfets and they are all good. i got the amp to light a green light twice and stay on but it goes back to blinking after i turn up the volume (first time almost imediately, and second time it was fine for about 30 seconds). the amp even blinks when i have it in the house hooked up to a "test" battery with only power, ground, and remote hooked to it...

the only thing i can think of is the rca inputs to the amp are going out, and the inputs are really loose and have a fair amound of "wiggle" in them that i doubt should be there....

sorry for the long post,

but can somebody please point me in the direction of getting my amp fixed... i am tired of buying new and throwing stuff away, i really like this amp! lol

I know I should probably give it more time, but I was hoping this was an easy fix... I am pretty sure I just needs to remove the old rca inputs and solder in new ones, but I don't even know where to begin looking...

just because the mosfets are not shorted doesn't mean they are good.there is such a thing as a leaky transistor.Not totally shorted but far from good. You may have to completely desolder the rca inputs from the board to find where the break is if there is indeed a break in the rca's. I'd start there if you feel comfortable disassembling the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

dirtbikes4fun02

10+ year member
dirtbikes4fun02
athens, ga
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from