Sound System Upgrade: Help picking out subwoofer/amp (*expert advice appreciated*)

Participant count
  • Participant list

eazyly
10+ year member

hey guys so I'm looking to upgrade my stock system, for starters, I'm looking for either 2 10's or 1 12 for a sub(advice on which would be better?). Next, for the amp, I would cater to the subwoofers power need, but I'd like to keep the wattage at a level where I would not have to upgrade my alternator or anything.

Sound quality is extremely important, as well as bass output. deeeeeep rich bass is an absolute! as I do love edm, and love to appreciate the low wubs even more than the punchy parts. otherwise I do love some good old rap, old school along with new good rap.

price range im guessing everything under 800? i will be looking for the models of anything on craigslist or ebay for a deal hopefully.

your advice is greatly appreciated! i came on here because i know all the seasoned vets know wsup!

Either a 2013 Lancer, 2013 CRZ, or 2008 TL Type S, yeah undecided on which vehicle yet but decision day is soon! and sound in it is of utmost importance. I'll be switching the stock speakers too, if anyone has any suggestions on that later.

Not a bad deal. Box looks a little small though.
Why not go with a 15? You can get an entire system for under $800, installed and everything. No need to drop big money on just a sub.
like a 15 inch sub? that seems kinda big for me...

dimensions for the sub are 15" Wide, 13" Tall, 18" Deep, w/ 2.025 cubic feet. i read somewhere thats a good volume for it :eek: I wouldn't know much tho. I want a really good sub tho haha, do you know if sundown sa12's are in the range of this alpine? this guys comes with a box though, so i might pick it up.

like a 15 inch sub? that seems kinda big for me...
dimensions for the sub are 15" Wide, 13" Tall, 18" Deep, w/ 2.025 cubic feet. i read somewhere thats a good volume for it :eek: I wouldn't know much tho. I want a really good sub tho haha, do you know if sundown sa12's are in the range of this alpine? this guys comes with a box though, so i might pick it up.
When you say 'really good sub' that tells us basically nothing. First start with what type of music you listen to, and what 'kind' of bass you want. Do you want your sub to go REALLY low? Then get a 12/15 and tune it low, ported. The amount of power your going to run has alot to do with it as well. I'm getting the impression that you want it to be pretty loud. Honestly, if you have never had a system before... Sub A 500w and Sub B 500w, your probably not going to tell much of a difference. You would probably be satisfied with a 500w 12" ported tuned to mid 20's, in 2~cuftish. In which case there are PLENTY of subs in the $80-$300 range that would do the job just fine. Start off cheaper... look in the classifieds or on ebay.

When you say 'really good sub' that tells us basically nothing. First start with what type of music you listen to, and what 'kind' of bass you want. Do you want your sub to go REALLY low? Then get a 12/15 and tune it low, ported. The amount of power your going to run has alot to do with it as well. I'm getting the impression that you want it to be pretty loud. Honestly, if you have never had a system before... Sub A 500w and Sub B 500w, your probably not going to tell much of a difference. You would probably be satisfied with a 500w 12" ported tuned to mid 20's, in 2~cuftish. In which case there are PLENTY of subs in the $80-$300 range that would do the job just fine. Start off cheaper... look in the classifieds or on ebay.
"Sound quality is extremely important, as well as bass output. deeeeeep rich bass is an absolute! as I do love edm, and love to appreciate the low wubs even more than the punchy parts. otherwise I do love some good old rap, old school along with new good rap."

to add on to that, i love trance, house, some dubstep, & trap. + all kinds of rap. but yeah, thrumming deep rich bass is my top point, along with some good punch. low is great, but i dont think subsonic is necessary (although cool). I haven't had a system before, but I have sat in multitudes of cars with amazing ones, & i do have an ear for good sound quality. bad sound quality makes me quiver. I'm down to put the money in for it, I was just looking for that right sub for me haha, & I would check ebay and craigslist for each one.

also thanks for the help, much appreciated homie.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.