Simple radio install for camper van question

Participant count
  • Participant list

makuna

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi folks

I have a camper van that I built and I need help/advice on installing a second radio to use when the vehicle is not running. Portable radios don't pick up anything in the van, which I live in some of the time. My plan is to buy an inexpensive car radio and two small speakers which I can mount in the van so I can listen to the radio when camping I'm in the boonies. This radio would run on my "house" 12-volt battery (I don't want a dead car battery when I'm 20 miles from civilization). I would mount a separate antenna for that radio which would be in the back of the van. Anyway, I'm not looking for monster sound, just a radio. I noticed that even the cheap radios have outputs for 4 speakers, but I just want two small speakers. Will I burn out the radio if I don't connect the rear speakers? Is there a workaround for this? I apologize if this question is too basic, but I really don't know.

Thanks for any help
Mike

I made a portable radio using little 18650 lithium batteries for mine. Runs for 14 hours on a charge and charges with the cigarette lighter. Your home stereo likely looks better than mine. Lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...