Should I use some foam to seal my back window or would it cause it to break

Participant count
  • Participant list

46panel
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Michigan
So if you've seen my video of my explorer flexin the back window is moving so much you can put your finger in it. I've heard that you can buy some foam from like home depot that has adhesive on one side to put around the window to help keep some of the pressure in. One of my buddies did it and said it made a big difference, just seeing if it would be worth it, because I don't want to make it so tight that the pressure breaks the window.

windowstickingout.jpg

looks more like asking for opinions and advice than showing off...

not sure exactly what sort of foam you mean, great stuff is the only sealing foam from home depot i know of and that would look like hell on the inside of a window. got any links or pics of your buddies window? the one thing i have done with that window that helped was when i had the hatch apart to deaden i jammed something into the latch that holds the window shut... it wasnt latched tightly and seemed to allow way too much movement, forget what i jammed in there but it held it more securely and cut down on the rattles some... few months later i think it came out though and it rattles like a mofo again.

Nice way to show off your ride.
Wasn't the purpose of this thread.

looks more like asking for opinions and advice than showing off...
not sure exactly what sort of foam you mean, great stuff is the only sealing foam from home depot i know of and that would look like hell on the inside of a window. got any links or pics of your buddies window? the one thing i have done with that window that helped was when i had the hatch apart to deaden i jammed something into the latch that holds the window shut... it wasnt latched tightly and seemed to allow way too much movement, forget what i jammed in there but it held it more securely and cut down on the rattles some... few months later i think it came out though and it rattles like a mofo again.
Not talking about foam like that but rather like the weather striping I can place around the window. I'm going to try it here in a lil bit and see

Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information I beleive you would be interested in the extruded butyl rope. I am prob gonna grab some for my escalade hatch that rattles like crazy. I've been referred there by many people and will be using some of his stuff in my install
Hmm might check into that if the weather striping doesn't help

its on the inside or outside of the cabin?

i thought about buying thicker weatherstriping, but i was afraid it would just stress the 2 bolts that mount the window more and cause them to tear out, like happened when buddy braced my rear window during burps. i think your talking about something different though.

by the way, the reason i left this alone back in the day was several competitors on termlabs forum told me they actually meter louder being left leaky. sure is annoying daily though...

its on the inside or outside of the cabin?
i thought about buying thicker weatherstriping, but i was afraid it would just stress the 2 bolts that mount the window more and cause them to tear out, like happened when buddy braced my rear window during burps. i think your talking about something different though.
This stuff, Thermwell Products Co. Inc. 1-1/4 in. x 7/16 in. x 10 Ft. Black High Density Rubber Foam Weatherstrip Tape - R516H at The Home Depot and yea what you said about bracing your window caused it to break is what made me make this thread, cuz I want to keep as much pressure in but don't want the mounts to break

This guy did it on his side window. On page 5 there's a picture. http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58259&page=5

if you're talking about putting that around the inside of the window, it'd work at the top, but it wouldnt be pliable enough to stretch with the windows flexing, or hard enough to hold it in place at the bottom. if you want to put that between the existing weatherstripping and the window, do it a little at a time, start at the bottom latch and work your way out and up as needed.

i'd also take a look at the latch that holds the window, i'd bet yours is the same as mine, allowing like half an inch of play. it cut down on the rattles ALOT when i had that thing jammed in there.

if you're talking about putting that around the inside of the window, it'd work at the top, but it wouldnt be pliable enough to stretch with the windows flexing, or hard enough to hold it in place at the bottom. if you want to put that between the existing weatherstripping and the window, do it a little at a time, start at the bottom latch and work your way out and up as needed.
i'd also take a look at the latch that holds the window, i'd bet yours is the same as mine, allowing like half an inch of play. it cut down on the rattles ALOT when i had that thing jammed in there.
Yea I guess I'll try it and see, then when I do my deadening I'll try and do something with that latch like your saying.

thread is worthless without vids //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
Ha yea, try this week sometime. I'm sure it will wear down eventually but for 3 bucks I will just continue to replace it when it needs it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.