Serious offroad Jeep Cherokee interior: suggestions?

LoudCrownVic
5,000+ posts

1/1 of Team Team Team
I have a late 80's Jeep Cherokee scoped out for a serious offroad rig with a cage/lift/boggers. The body is okay but the interior is pretty much gone, all I have is the backseat and a few pieces of the door panels, and a complete dash. There is also no motor or tranny.

I gotta put an interior in it of some sort. The truck will likely be off-roaded seriously and will get wet inside on the trail. It needs seats, floor covering, panels..

I have a few ideas, but what would you put in for an interior? It's a two door cherokee, the backseat will likely go bye bye in favor of cargo space (wait it's already gone)...

Will take some pictues as soon as I get it home. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

Cool, some good ideas. I was thinking of drilling 1" holes and plugging them with rubber stoppers of some kind so when I spray it out I can drain it too.

By the looks of it this may become an entire build thread...

i would suggest rhino lining the floor also. buy some full-suspension off-roading seats too. your back will thank you, and they also are made to get muddy. I would also buy new seatbelts, maybe four point belts. factory seat belts probably won't hold you in tight enough to stay stable if you take it on a steep bank.

I agree with the Rhino. The plugs add a nice touch too.

For the seats, look into Mastercraft's line. They make some killer off road set ups that are 5 belt harness ready and already have installed speakers in the head rests (if you're into that). If you're o0ber leet, go for an external cage. Internal cages take up unessesary space. External cages are the new kewl, and if built properly, take care of all your spare tire, lighting, equipment location needs. Gut the back of the rig and set up a solid hard mounted tool box (big one). You'll need spare parts and tools if you do real offroading.

Lift kit 6" Rubicon Express

Tires 35" MTRs

Wheels 12"x10" black steelies

Shocks - depends on what kind of wheeling you will do

There's a good (and expensive) start for you... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Definitely Rhino line it like the other 8 posts say, but beware that the stuff stinks, and will stick to whatever it gets on.

And a little off-topic but, you say it's got Boggers... what size? is it still running the stock axles?

The D35 in the rear doesn't take too kindly to much over 33's. The D30 up front can usually handle 35's, but anything larger than that and I would upgrade.

Definitely Rhino line it like the other 8 posts say, but beware that the stuff stinks, and will stick to whatever it gets on.
And a little off-topic but, you say it's got Boggers... what size? is it still running the stock axles?

The D35 in the rear doesn't take too kindly to much over 33's. The D30 up front can usually handle 35's, but anything larger than that and I would upgrade.
my recommendation is an attempt at changing out the swappers.

Chero's only have a d35 in the rear?

If so, he's going to nee to upgrade regardless....

my recommendation is an attempt at changing out the swappers.
Chero's only have a d35 in the rear?

If so, he's going to nee to upgrade regardless....

Yes the majority of the 80's models came with D35's. Although if you were lucky, you got a D44. They weren't necessarily rare, just not half as common as the D35. Some of the newer models came with either the D35 or a Chryco. 8.25".

Somewhat stronger if it was a 27 spline and considerably stronger if it was the 29 spline.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.