Second Skin Enclosure Coating - Protoype pics are up

im not a big fan on the looks, to be honest i could see it used for maybe marine enclosures or blowthrough's (if it is water resistant), but many people carpet there boxes, many leave them with nothing on them because they swap so much, and some just spray paint.

i used a type of duplicolor roll on bedliner on a box i built and it gave it a nice texture and a nice look, but i wasnt flattered by it.

by the pics it almost looks like a rubber enclosure. that would be great to cover some tower speakers for the garage in that.

i dont see it doing real well on sales, but its a quick way to cover your box, just not very in-expensive...

do you have to buy it by the gallon?

It's too chunky, like oatmeal. I thought it would be smoother. It was mentioned that this could be used on kick panels but there is no way it would look good on kicks. It looks too industrial for use in a vehicle.

It is an acrylic resin loaded with rubber and filler, so it will have some vibration damping properties.Not as much as our Spectrum and Sludge vibration dampers, but it will help deaden the vibrations on the wood. Not sure how much that will help though..

ANT
What!?

I'm not even close to being the "smartest" person on here but even I know that's a load of ****. If you have an enlcosure that is resonating and causing a less than satisfactory sound then you did something wrong. Start over....don't just throw some "super coating" on it to fix things, it just doesn't work like that

Don't you have a SPL truck bed coating or some **** like that? Seems to me like your just using the same thing and calling it something else to make more money....tuche

Oh please tell me you aren't thinking about getting into the enclosure damping industry. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
Not even close. If you read my first post you will see where I said"

An alterntive to carpet that can be brushed or sprayed.
Purely designed by me, to be a cosmetic alternative to carpet.

Any sound daedening benficts, no matter where the product is used, is purely a side effect of the materail used in the coating.

We do have a lot of people that use our Specrum coatings on enclsures, and swear by them, but personally I don't think is worth the effort. Many calim that it helps though.

Honestly, it looks like rubberized undercoating to me. Which does come in different colors if you find the right manufacturer. Even your description of its material composition sounds like rubberized undercoating. So i guess the obvious question is, is it simply rubberized undercoating Anthony?
I am not sure. I don't forumlate rubberized undercoatings. Most that I know of are solvent based. I have very little experience formulating solven based products. I stick with water based coatings. There are some similar aspects to most adhesive resins whether they are solvent or water based coatings but dependong on the specific intention of the coating the small similarities add up to big differences in product perfomace.

House paint and some waterbased calkings are not too far off from one another for example. The formulas are not miles apart from one antoher either. Similar, yet different.

I have not tested out many rubberized undercoatings but the ones I have used came in a spray can, we applied very thin, and remained tack for quite some time. The cured product I showed in the pics above is nothing similar to the rubberized undercoatings I have used.

ANT

It's too chunky, like oatmeal. I thought it would be smoother. It was mentioned that this could be used on kick panels but there is no way it would look good on kicks. It looks too industrial for use in a vehicle.
We can offer it in a smooth finish if enough people request it.

As of now it is being developed to inclused the recycled rubber bits which give it the texture.

ANT

What!?
I'm not even close to being the "smartest" person on here but even I know that's a load of ****. If you have an enlcosure that is resonating and causing a less than satisfactory sound then you did something wrong. Start over....don't just throw some "super coating" on it to fix things, it just doesn't work like that
Please go back and read the post you quoted.

This coating is not designed to kill vibrations in the MDF. it is an cosmetic coating. Even in the post I say that I am not sure how much vibration damping would matter. I have no clue. I did not design it for that, nor have I done any testing for it.

Your argument is moot.

Don't you have a SPL truck bed coating or some **** like that? Seems to me like your just using the same thing and calling it something else to make more money....tuche
Yeah, we have a bed liner, which is not fully formulated yet.

We also have waterbased noise coatings. Each one of which is different from the others.

The bed liner coating is a Polyurethane/acrylic hybrid with teflon and glass spheres.

The Spectrum noise coating is a mineral loaded acrylic coating designed to adhere to raw or caoted metal.

This enclose liner is an acrylic & SRB bland that is loaded with rubber bits and some some other addatives designed to adhere to wood.

Similar formulation base on each but much different fillers addatives and technology behind each.

ANT

Looks pretty cool. Im looking to redo the inside of my box with something that looks nice. I just spray painted it to get it black, but I would like to do something that has a nice texture to it.

Ill look into it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Looks pretty cool. Im looking to redo the inside of my box with something that looks nice. I just spray painted it to get it black, but I would like to do something that has a nice texture to it.
Ill look into it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
wait your going to put this INSIDE the box?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.