Sad newb needs help with 3x12" JL w3 v3 set up

Brand new to car audio please bare with me and help if you can. Yesterday I went to a car audio shop and had a system installed into a 06 Lincoln zephyr, I feel raped. I spent a good amount of cash and i'm disappointed. Where do I go from here? The setup is:

stock navigation THX head unit and speaker set up(would like to keep)

set of Kenwood KFC-XT15ie Tweeters

3x 12" JL w3 v3 subs in triple crown box

JL 500-1 Amp

I have the volume cranked max, and the bass isn't as loud as I expected it to be. I say this because I met a guy the other day that was using 3x12" Crossfire subs that cost about the same as the JL and according to him he didn't spend to much more cash on the set up then me. But the comparison is like night and day not even on the same level. I got into his car and it was deafening It gave me a **** massage. His set up was in a 240sx hatchback with the subs enclosed in his hatch facing up, he had a crossover and cap (witch I do not have). Oh ya and a aftermarket headunit. If posiable what can I do to pound more comparably to him. I'm looking at under a $1000 budget. Like I said I'm a newbie where do I go from here? Do I go kick the guy that sold and installed my stuff in the nutz? Do I kick myself in the nutz? What should I do please help wise ones it will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

your stock headunit is the problem.

Since it is a brand new nice luxury car I would also want to keep the factory headunit too, to fix your problem your are going to need to run the JL Audio cleansweep. I'm surpised your installer did not recommend it to you since you wanted to keep your factory headunit. Also the 500/1 is not capable of pushing 3 12w3's properly being that they are 300w rms a piece. The 1000/1 would be the perfect amp to power them and it should slam really hard. Those are the two problems I see. Another thing is when you add those two things you may want to upgrade you highs, components would make the system sound really good.

Also realize that his subs in his hatch were basically inside the car with him, whereas yours are in the trunk. Do your rear seats fold down? That will make a difference, too. If you have factory speakers in the rear deck, you could remove them completely, and leave the openings for a little more sound to get through. I second the Clean Sweep idea, and I agree that you should go ahead and spend some skrilla on an amp and components up front. Oh, and get a biger amp for those subs. Those W3s should hit hard, so that's not the problem.

I have to agree with what everyone said the 500/1 even though is a nice amp; is not enough for the 3 12's the 100/1 should be a nice match as long as your gains are set with a DMM.

As for the clean sweep wait and swap the amp first. then if you are still not happy then i would look in to an aftermarket HU instead.

umm...your probably not going to even be able to fit 4 gauge wire into the speaker terminals on that amp...or the subs...stick with 8,10, or 12 gauge for wiring to your subs

Hmm the last thing I want to do is change the HU in that car. I was wondering if any one knows what JL clean sweep I need to go with and about how it will run me?

No he wasn't.
"make sure you have some pretty big wires going from the amp to the subs. like 2 or 4 gage wire"

Noob giving advice to noob i love it!

Whats the main reason you want to stick with your factory deck? As far as the power goes id say your not putting enough power to 3 12's with a 500/1. Some have suggested a 1000/1 id say that would be enough.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.