Ring terminals that don't corrode/fail after a year...

RAM_Designs
5,000+ posts

SketchUp Master
Rockwall, TX
I'm looking for some non-corrosive ring terminals that'll be able to survive in an under-hood environment. After using the Knu terminals, I've come to learn that they're useless after a year or so...the shiny finish is gone and it just looks like hell. I've been looking at the copper ones that WGSJ...whatever his name is, is selling in the classifieds as potential replacements. Anyone have a suggestion for a good under-the-hood ring terminal?

copper cable lugs FTW look the same as when i put them on . scorched by heat and wrapped in electrical tape
This. So easy to solder on and then a little wrap of electrical tape and they are invincible. Not as pretty as the Knu terminals I used to have under the hood, but I wanted everything to match and they were a lot easier to work with.

I'll use marine grade terminals - if they can handle salt water, they can handle my engine compartment. I also use copper terminals.

marine grade grounding terminals:

2296173_185_full.jpg

alt terminal:

accord_alt0510_altwire4.jpg

then cover the terminals with dielectric grease:

accord_alt0510_altclosepos.jpg

then any boots for the connection:

accord_alt0510_altcloseboot.jpg

all of these connections have dielectric grease, none corrode:

accord_alt0510_battclose.jpg

Hello/

I'm *X'S 2* w/Keep_Hope_Alive's recommended *Tin Plated Marine Terminals/and Rubber Terminal Boots*/:clap:.They're Great.I

personally recommend *Dual Wall Adhesive Shrink Tube* under the Hood.Once the Cable is Crimped or Soldered

[Again...IMOPO,Advise to Crimp & Solder] then make sure you cover the connection,at least an Inch on both sides of connection

w/the Shrink Tube.Once you see the glue come out of both ends of ST...it's now waterproof/and element proof.

Also...Let the Shrink Tube and Glue *Cool* before you start to Install it.Get a *Quality Set of Large Crimpers*,unless

you already have a pair/;O].They have the *Hammer Type Crimpers [On E/Bay] or the *Bolt Cutter-Type Crimpers with

the longer type handles.

You'll be more than Happy to know,It's Protected the *Right Way*,and Never have to worry.As with any Cable/Wire/

RCA's/Etc.,make sure to use plenty of *High Quality/Name Brand/UV Rated Black Cable Ties*.

For the Large 1/0-2/0 or Etc.[Whichever "you" decide to use/afford,BUT Ample Guage],use the Heavier/Wider,Black UV Ties.

All *The Best of Luck w/Your Project/=O]*.Just a word of Advice but moreso of just tryin' to Help you...PLEASE-PLEASE,Take

Your Time & Be Patient with this Project.It's one of *THE Most Important* aspects of installing the System.Safe & Secure.

Take Care

Best Regards/=O]

Raymond

Last edited by a moderator:
copper cable lugs FTW look the same as when i put them on . scorched by heat and wrapped in electrical tape
sorta on the same level i took copper pipe smashed the wire into the pipe cut and made my own terminals and have had 0 problems or corrosion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.