Remote start guru's...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gianotti
10+ year member

UNLIMTED POWER
i have an 03 Dodge Diesel, just installed a Viper 5701 remote start, this is a 5spd, so you know with the new vipers you NEED tach for the RS, i cannot find tach to save my life, i am an installer, so i know what i am doin, just looking for some more input from other installers. i dont have a PCM on the side of the firewall like the autos do, i know where the ECM is on the side of the block, its not a blue/gray like the 04 and up, i have tried multiple wire ( testing ) no dice. i have tryed the Cam postion senor, no dice. you cant use virtutach or voltage, these diesel wont pick it up, i cant use the 454T? the tach generator, it wont sense the signal in enough time, i have been seaching for this thing for hours and no luck, **** i have this remote start and cant use it. any help would be great thanks!

John

I ran into this problem on a 2002 Ram about a month ago. I ended up loking at the wire diagram for a 2001. Seems odd that your 2003 would be the same, but maybe worth a shot. On the 2001 there is 2 black plugs right about in middle of the firewall, right above the motor, one of them has a white insert in it. In the plug WITHOUT the white insert, there will be a orange/black wire for the wait to start light, and a gray/black wire for tach. Hopefully this helps.

I'm lazy too look up wiring info for the truck, but you tried to grab it right @ the injectors with no dice?

jakepatch...i have the next body style up, so that diagram is completly diff from mine, i memeber that style, plus i dont have those plug and its a newer design computer/motor

x1le...havent really tried the injectors, on these diesels they are real sensitive and dont want to mess with that, if i have other options

canaan...its not a chipped key ( almost wish it was for this ) so no luck there

according to audiovox tech tips, it should be a gray/black that is in a large harness running along pass side of firewall.

instead of trying to hunt it down, tho, I would probably just grab it @ the uncommon color at the injectors. I've done it in the past with no problems.

jakepatch...i have the next body style up, so that diagram is completly diff from mine, i memeber that style, plus i dont have those plug and its a newer design computer/motor
x1le...havent really tried the injectors, on these diesels they are real sensitive and dont want to mess with that, if i have other options

canaan...its not a chipped key ( almost wish it was for this ) so no luck there
The Idata Mod. is what....$80 msrp? Would save you a HELL of alot of headache and time. Should be able to do alarm, keyless, and r/s in no time w/ it.

Those Idata mods are a dam godsend for newer vehicles, and the T-harnesses for some vehicles (toyota?) can have you in and out of a vehicle in less than an hour. Hell, I did full solder on my '04 Avalanche w/ RS-alarm-keyless and it was only 2.5hrs counting cleanup time. Alarm (sytek) wasn't d2d either, had to w2w on the bench.

true they are nice and save time, but like i said before it would be pointless for me to do if i dont have a chipped key and everything else is already wired in

is there a neutral safety wire for the truck? if you can find that, Id use that and wire the truck like an auto (thus, virtual tach)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.