rap sounds great but heavy rock sounds crap???

Krikey that's low-passed mid-bass!!! Nice call for lettin' that MAX take over at 40 and below. . .I've never used it but I heard it's a beast at those insane low notes!!
I was thinking about trying a set of dedicated mids band-pass filtered from 60-300in the door. Don't know what to expect though!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif Or just another component set with passive XO point at about 1KHz??//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif :confused:
I've never heard a sub that plays it like this one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif If I'm not mistaken the -3db downpoint is at 10 hz!

I'd say try to do the midbass at at least 50 hz but it needs to be a good stout one that can play it. Where is your midrange going to be? In the kicks? I personally don't like to run my midbass up very high. Usually around 160-180 hz is as high as I go.

Agreed with the sealed better than ported for losts of rock... or smaller low tuned enclosures. But as mentioned too... most ignore the fact that a strong midbass section is lacking in most peoples systems. Its amazing how much of the tightness of kick drums "should" come from the midbass up front.
Lots of rock is recorded and mastered very well. Its the hardocre and punk that I listen to that sounds like cr@p all the time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
i have an Underoath cd that is loud as hell, the peaks distort since it's so compressed when they mastered it

rock music in my car hurts my ears lol.. shits loud as hell
yup mine too

I agree with the statement about how the original track was recorded. . .
I use 2 IDQ 12" in a sealed @ 1 cu. each and am pretty much an exclusive rock/heavy speed metal listener. LP is crossed at about 80 Hz with a 24dB/octave slope. They never skip a beat with blazing double bass rips.

I would add that the speed with the bass guitar and bass drum blend to create muddy bass "crap" sound. That's just the nature of the beast my friend!!

However, overcome this by simply turning the gain down on the LP crossed amp and cranking the volume more for your mids. This is exactly the reason why I'm currently working on the addition of a second set in my doors !!! Mids MIDS MIDS are what we need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif
well if they didn't compress the **** after the recordin the songs would be much crispier and cleaner and have more dynamic range but to the producers it's all about havin loud songs these days...

i dont need to touch my subwoofer control on my equalizer when i switch from rap to rock..

i need more power for my comps though, my 160ss cant put as much as i want out but it sounds freaking incredible. you need to seal off the front of the speaker from the back of it, isolate the waves so you dont get cancellation - thats the biggest things for good midbass. the rest is deaden, etc..

getting an equalizer helps alot too. i find it much easier with my eqs746

Did someone mention midbass? I couldn't agree more, imo the vast majority of car audio systems out there today are severely lacking in midbass. Here's what Im getting ready to stick in my doors for midbass, I fully expect to be able to turn my subs off and run 'subless' for metal...

P8050051-small.jpg
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Old metallica was recorded well. But really old Metallica was not. Their oldest stuff was recorded quite badly. It still sounds like pure gold to me though, not like their new crap. IMO Metallica might as well have died after they made and justice for all. Their 'style' certainly died. Back then everyone wanted to sound like Metallica, now instead Metallica sounds like everybody else. bleh

"i jsut keep a amp gain controller on my dash and turn it way down for metal"

Rap, ragae and anything that uses a lower note will require more power to produce it so most of us set there amp gain playing this now when you go to metal its drums play at a higher note which requires less power to reproduce, turning the gain down via remote gain control (bass knob) will help equal it out.

i know rap is louder in my car for sure, but i think thats just the way it is. i prefer rock and can't really sit and listen to rap. i just play it to show off the bass. but rock in my car sounds good, i need more midbass of course but other than that it's all good.

the thing i don't quite understand is that most people are saying that they are turning down the sub bass for rock. why? i turn the sub bass up a couple notches when listening to rock/metal cause i like strong bass but rock/metal doesn't seem to have quite as much.

ok so people are talking about midbass so how exactly is this achieved? what kind of speakers does one usually use for midbass and are they supposed to be run off of their own amp? i currently have 2 infinity reference 6.5's and 2 JVC 6x9's in 6x9 boxes all four of which are run off of an alpine 600w 4 ch but will be splitting up the sets into different amps so i can get better power to them would i be able to use that set up and change one of the sets to a midbass range and if so which speakers should i use for that purpose?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.