Question about setting gain with an DMM

Participant count
  • Participant list

MiniflexAlex
10+ year member

Leon, MX
Hello,

I just tried to set the gain on my amp with the help of an DMM.

Well, I took the cables to the woofer off the amp.

All tone settings on the HU and on the amp set to zero, Radio cranked to about 85% and the DMM leads at the woofer terminal on the amp....well, I should see a Volt reading on my DMM now but I don't....0.00V....I thought my DMM is shot so I held it on the power terminals of the amp and it gave me a reading of 12.9V...so the DMM is fine....strapped the woofers back on the amp and they are blasting, so the amp works fine....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

wth....?

BTW. It is a American Bass VFL 175.1 pushing two DC lvl4 @ 1 Ohm...so I should see about 57 Volt right....???

Thanks in advance

Alex

Then u measured incorrectly.Did you put DMM negative to chassis ground?

I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

I did did put the DMM negative to the negative terminal on the amp and not to the chassi.

it's set to dc not ac?
Yes, it is set to DC.

One more thing. I'm not using a test tone just plain old music....but anyways, it should give me a reading and not 0.00V

I don't know what I'm doing wrong...I did did put the DMM negative to the negative terminal on the amp and not to the chassi.

Yes, it is set to DC.

One more thing. I'm not using a test tone just plain old music....but anyways, it should give me a reading and not 0.00V
Well set it to ac then, everything else sounds correct.

Well set it to ac then, everything else sounds correct.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nerd.gif.c6fa51ddf7ff75f1c0371fbc648f70ae.gif I'm a dumb a** //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif now it works...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.