Pontiac Fiero

BooLeaN
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hey I was looking at getting a Fiero. I was wondering if anyone knows how much stereo area there is in one.

I have seen 12's done in a Fiero before, but I have 2 RE HC 15's that I'd want to put into it.

Just wondering if it's possible??

Thanks,

Craig G

Basically, imagine having a regular cab s 10 pickup. That's about what you can fit in a Fiero in the the way of stereo, but if everyone hates you and you don't get groceries I've seen the passenger side traded in for a fiberglass dual 12" box.

As for the vehicle itself, they are poorly made. The paint on them ******, and in the winter you spin around like a top. The cooling system is in between insufficient and non existient. Working on the motor is a *****. The way they are balanced is not anywhere near a BMW, and it cant be exactly classified as a handling machine. The front end slides out around improperely banked corners (you can't steer, um, kind of a problem).

But there are bunches of awesome body kits out there, and with one properly installed they look sweet as hell (Ferrari look alike kits etc). Plus, if your're huge like me, you can fit into them, because the footroom on them is nice.

Basically think of it as a sort of a small white elephant type of a vehicle. You can't do much to them in the way of super performance, but you can end up with a good looking, fairly quick and somewhat reliable vehicle. The only reason I never bought one is because mainly it's a GM product, and because there is a ****load of them around here.

Tell me about the one you're looking at, I'll tell you what I think.

Thanks for the reply. The one I'm looking at was just certified before winter. It wasn't driven in the winter.

It needs paint. Not sure yet on the price because he still hasn't decided. I'm pretty sure it's a 1986 and it is an SE. 6 Cylinder engine.

The tranny was just replaced. Most to all work has been done by a mechanic.

The guy is my neighbour and basically I've never seen him drive the car in the past 10 years so I am pretty sure the miles are LOW. I'll have to check the odometer to be sure though.

The car is black, and the interior is near mint.

I really don't want to die driving it if the handling is that bad..............

Let's put it this way, I drive a 1990 Chevrolet Tracker and that is fine to me for handeling and safetly. I don't want to die in the winter cause of snow.

I mean, if the handling is average but shitty compaired to a sports car, that is fine with me, but if it is just plain outright horrible and unsafe then I wouldn't really want to own one.

Thanks for the input,

Craig G

I personally havent heard of people dying because of the flaw, but those who push it too hard certianly have gotten a scare!

If you were fine with the tracker, the Fiero should be a major improvement. Just take it easy, and don't drive in the winter.

As for the price, it really depends on how bad you want it. I wouldn't go over 1500 american dollars if there is any immediate major problem to be fixed, such as a bad alternator, starter, headgasket, etc.

But seeing it as it is, it looks like you are going to pay at least 3000. Plus, the transmission replacement is a good thing, because this is an expensive and involved process. Be glad you don't have to endure it after you buy it.

I don't want to directly say you should buy it. Fiero's are some of the strangest cars in the world, and are kind of foriegn to even me after I drove one and even after my dad had one and explained all their mechanical nuances to me. You never know with them.

Good luck, and choose well.

Thanks for the input. You say you have driven one, what did you think of it? I want something that is going to be kinda fast, and a bit unique.

The Fiero is just something my neighbour has, I know he has taken care of it and I'm sure I can get a good deal on it.

You say your dad had one, was it relaible at all? I'm still in college so I can't really afford to be dropping a crapload of money for repairs all the time.

Thanks again,

Craig G

Ask your neighbor if you can take it around the block. It drives much like a regular car, but there is something in the way it rides and corners that feels really strange. It's sort of cool.

As for fast, the fiero is very light. I have heard of 350's stuffed into them, but this will cost you probably 2-3 times what you will pay for the car. The one my dad had was a four banger auto and it was Ok for that kind of a car. The one I drove had a 4 cylinder manual and it felt barely stressed going around town where I drove it for about 45 minutes. The reliability concern is the cooling. Notice how the motor is in the rear, so the air has to come past cockpit to get past the radiator. Plus the drive system and the trans on earlier Fieros was still unrefined.

Get in it, and drive it. It's the only way to truly know whether you should get worked up about it.

If you do happen to get it, kiss your 15's bye bye.

Peace, and good luck.

Thanks again for the input. I'll have a talk with my neighbour and hopefully take the car out for a ride.

I'm not sure what he'll be asking for it, but I like the idea that I can work on the car to make it better. With a Tracker it's just not worth it.

Craig G

Fiero Gt's are Awesome the last year they made them was 88 I think? they completely revised the chassis the Gt's are Wicked fast 14 seconds down the quarter mile completely stock and they can handle ooo can they rip around corners

The Gt's are significantly more expensive though unless you find someone that doesnt know what it is

They do make Tons of awesome body kits I have seen them with a Ls1 swapped in not much will beat that on the street the ls1 only weights about 100 pounds more then a 2.8 as well so your not harshly effecting your handling

you can also swap in a 3.4 dohc 60 degree v6 it

fieros also have completely fiberglass bodys

The Gt's come with a Supercharged 3.8 with exaust, pulleys, chip and such you will have one small scarey car that not many Day Drivers will have a chance of keeping up with

The Gt's come with a Supercharged 3.8 with exaust, pulleys, chip and such you will have one small scarey car that not many Day Drivers will have a chance of keeping up with
wrong they only came with the 2.8 v 6 all other eng combos in a gt are swaped in.

The reliability concern is the cooling. Notice how the motor is in the rear, so the air has to come past cockpit to get past the radiator. Plus the drive system and the trans on earlier Fieros was still unrefined.
Get in it, and drive it. It's the only way to truly know whether you should get worked up about it.

If you do happen to get it, kiss your 15's bye bye.

Peace, and good luck.
Just to let you know the radiator was in the front of the car on a fiero so air did not have to go past the ckpt of the car, and cooling was not that big of an issue the big issue was the fact that they tended to catch on fire due to the way the exhaust was routed near the wire harness this was mostly the 84 models they added shielding to correct this problem.

Handling wasn’t bad at all if fact it was one of the better ones in its day. Btw the 88 suspension was designed in conjunction with lotus. The biggest gripe was it was underpowered.

Btw this is a highly recommended site to visit for info on the fiero http://www.fiero.nl

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

BooLeaN

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
BooLeaN
Canada Ontario
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date