Old School 3 JL 12w6's

lionel2
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
PA
I got my 3 JL 12w6's for a steal back in AUG...i got the subs 3 of them in a sealed box wired to a 4 ohm load for $200 at a flea market..they are 2003's i believe dual 6 ohm subs..300w rms 600w max...they are clean and sound great...these are the best subs i have ever owned...but hey i really want some DD's or Treo's...it hits hard...my whole back end rattles and the glass..well you guys know all about that...its cool...i just love seeing a woofer go in and out...if you guys have any comments on JL 12w6s i would like to hear em...thanks...keep up the cool threads

Wow! thats a really good deal! I had an awesome deal as well! hahaha! I GOT MY 12W6 FOR 10 BUCKS! How do U like that?! But yeah? Its freaking awesome! I got it in a ported box built 2 manf. specs. It simply amazing! But same like you, I wanna try a new system.

wow, thats a dam good deal. just make sure you dont flaunt your system to anyone because you never knew whose trunk they left in the first place;) *st0len goods*//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

Yeah..$200 for subs and box...i checked no filing of serial numbers or anything...man got them new for his mustang in 2003..thanks for the comments guys

hey i just got a great deal on some stuff, i got 4 of those 12w6's in a sealed box, a mtx 1501d, rf 1 farad cap, a lanzar vibe 500 watt, and 2 spools of 50ft 1/0 in blue and silver for 300 bucks! i just sold 2 of the jl's to a budy he is going to put them in a ported truck box, and i sold them for 200! woot, almost got all my money back

I don't think Old school JL w6s are made for ported boxes..they are not high excusion subs they dont have the thick surround that can handle the in and out motions with ported boxes..oh well...just means it will last like 4 months..i have had mine for 8 months no wear....i am trying to sell 2 10's and 2 12's...10's are pioneers in a ported box...good for small cars..and the 12's are MA 375w max subs in a sealed box and i got a alpine 700w mono amp that i trying to get rid of..2 10's for 300 obo...2 12's for 200 obo and alpine amp 200 obo alpine worked in my car when i took it out not sure if it still works..but is brand new 2005 stock..thanks guys...peace

well..i cant fit a ported box in my car anyway..my box is 37 inches wide and my back can only fit 38 inches..maybe with the port on the bottom i dont know...too much work..rather save money for new system...thanks

I don't think Old school JL w6s are made for ported boxes..they are not high excusion subs they dont have the thick surround that can handle the in and out motions with ported boxes..oh well...just means it will last like 4 months..i have had mine for 8 months no wear....i am trying to sell 2 10's and 2 12's...10's are pioneers in a ported box...good for small cars..and the 12's are MA 375w max subs in a sealed box and i got a alpine 700w mono amp that i trying to get rid of..2 10's for 300 obo...2 12's for 200 obo and alpine amp 200 obo alpine worked in my car when i took it out not sure if it still works..but is brand new 2005 stock..thanks guys...peace
^^^

Just because the surround is not think or big doesn't mean that. SO wrong.

I have seen many of 12w6's in ported boxes.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/8-12W6_BDS.pdf

what is the disadvantages of ported boxes with 12w6s??
Basically you can't get a flat response out of them. They will *work* in a ported box, but are at their best in a sealed one.

Whoever said that they weren't high excursion subs, is out to lunch on several counts. For their day, they were some of the highest excursion subs on the market. Also, cone movement in a ported enclosure is usually less than a sealed box as long as you are playing above tuning.

those are sweet subs you got there

never heard the old 6s ported, but they sound great sealed.

if you wanna sell em, lemme know //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I wish i could sell them...but where can i get a deal like that on 3 12's in mint condition that retailed for 299.99 each plus 200 for the box..thats like 1200 bucks..you should see the magnets on these suckers...dude at shops says i will be lucky to hit 120's with these subs...its loud but i have never been in car that had 140's or 150's hittin..i just dont know..its loud to me thats all that counts..how long do these w6s last?? the surrounds i mean...i play them on 12 on volume on my pioneer HU...18 if a cute chick in a skirt goes by..lol...i mean at 12 on volume everyone looks around wondering where that sound comes from...so i dont really need to turn it up..not lookin for a ticket..new law or soemthing...so i bet my subs will last like maybe 4 years or more...i mean they are already 3 1/2 years old...with the condition they are in they are winners...this dude i got them from sold these subs to me and hes showed me what he bought with the money i gave him ($200) and then he had like couple bills extra..i have no idea how he got these subs...he goes 2 DD 9512's dual i think 1.5 or 1 ohm subs...his mustang's body bends when he cranks it up..he said he had to dynamat the whole car...nice ported box...i am not too familiar with DD but he says they weigh like 50lbs each stacked magnets...please write some more like to hear from you guys..thanks

Your English is rough... But I picked up 3 of these 12's myself, I'm thinking about cramming them into my Porsche 924S //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I haven't been able to hear them, besides freeair in my room off of my testing amp.

One of them, freeair, set on the carpet, SHOOK THE WHOLE HOUSE on 10 watts.

I got my 3 12's for 350, you lucky bastard- I am interested somewhat in getting more of them, if anybody is selling more.

I'm also looking for 10W3 V1 DVC 4 ohm subs too. I want up to three of them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.