Not breaking in a woofer = bad voice coil?

jrz126
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Erie, pa
I just bought 2 15" L7's and build a pretty sweet ported box for them.

I put them in and gave them alittle power (probably about 50%) from a power accoustik 2400D. I noticed one of them wasnt moving as much as the other, so I checked the voice coils and sure enough 1 of the coils is open circuit. I didnt check the VCs before I powered it up so I don't know if it is something I did, like too much power without breaking it in.

I called the company and I can send it back and get a new one, but I'm kinda concerned that I may have damaged the other one?

Anyone have a similar experience?

It's quite possible the driver was DOA. Hard to tell though. If you didn't see any smoke or smell any nastiness, I doubt you blew it from trying to break the woofers in. Are they DVCs or SVCs? If just one of the coils in a DVC is gone, thats more likely to be a factory defect than a blown coil from abuse.

well if it was moving but not as much...it isn't an open...
If they are sharing airspace in the enclosure, the 'live' sub could have been semi-powering the dead sub via pressure in the box. Quasi PR.

I dont see how there's any guarantee the sub was damaged/defective before it was mounted. But Id still assume that if I were you and take steps to return it as if that is the case. Probably was defective.

If they are sharing airspace in the enclosure, the 'live' sub could have been semi-powering the dead sub via pressure in the box. Quasi PR.
I dont see how there's any guarantee the sub was damaged/defective before it was mounted. But Id still assume that if I were you and take steps to return it as if that is the case. Probably was defective.
fair enough, but its not moving under its own power //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

fair enough, but its not moving under its own power //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
No, but that would explain why it was 'moving less'. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

there are still some products that are made in the USA.
well of course there are hence the 90% in my post...

my RF amp was made in the usa, but just cause its made in china doesn't mean its a piece of junk. its a piece of junk if the manufacture doesn't give a **** and says "make it as cheap as possible". the chinese don't make shitty products on their own, they make shitty products cause we ask them to.

there are still some products that are made in the USA.
haha! yeah, but the parts to assemble it are 90% made in China //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.