New MTX Thunder 7500

AZhomegrown
10+ year member

desert
Yesterday i bought a new MTX thunder 7500 10 inch sub. It has 400wrms with dual 4ohm voice coils. This was an upgrade from my pioner premier 10. The main reason for upgrading was the fact that the pioneer was a dual 2ohm woofer and i was only pulling half the power from my pioneer 400wrms amp. The 400 watts is at a 2ohm load so the 4 ohms i was getting with the pioneer sub wasnt cutting it. Now that i have the mtx i can wire it to a 2 ohm load and get full power and boy does it hit. I wanted to have all pioneer at one point but gave up on that. I have heard a lot of good things about MTX and got it for 90 bucks due to it being a display. Im still happy, i have a 1 yr warranty with it. Over all i am absolutly stoked on this sub. It sounds so much louder and the bass is much higher quality then that of the pioneer. it just seems a lot stronger and it is. Anybody have any experience with this sub?

Never used the ten but I ran a couple of the 12 inch versions sealed for a while and also ran one of them ported for a bit. Overall I thought they sounded pretty decent although I expected a little more output.They seem a lot beefier than a 400 watt rms sub but I didn't run them long enough to really test their limits to see if they were underrated which I assume they are.

im glad spooney can read, thanks man. Im just curious if other people have used and like this sub, enclosure type and setup, and possible problems someone may have experienced in their longer ownership of the sub.

the 5500 and 7500 series subs are some my all time favs! no joke this is one of the only subs thats a true jack of all trades!

you can throw rap,rock,country,whatever and it sounds pretty good with them!

dont know if poeple have had bad luck or were unimpressed with MTX's lower end subs but these lines sound fantastic!

(i seriously think alot of people dont bother with mtx higher lines cause of the bad rap the cheap stuff has gotten)

ive owned alot of different kinds of subs too and the 7500 is still at the top of my list.

i gotta try a 9500 sometime...

heres my sub n box....

I think a lot of people dont bother with the higher end mtx stuff because of the price mainly. For what the 7500,8500,9500's cost you can almost always find something equal or better for less. Personally i've always liked mtx stuff and always thought even the cheap stuff was impressive for what it was. I still have a pair of ten inch thunder 6000's that bump like they were new

I also think part of the problem is that they never made any of those series in dual 2 ohm voice coil setups. With the high end stuff alot of guys want to run single subs at 1 ohm..... and you cant do that with the MTX stuff. I installed two thunder 6000 subs in my dad's avalanche and they sound great, I was very impressed with the SQ.

I think a lot of people dont bother with the higher end mtx stuff because of the price mainly. For what the 7500,8500,9500's cost you can almost always find something equal or better for less. Personally i've always liked mtx stuff and always thought even the cheap stuff was impressive for what it was. I still have a pair of ten inch thunder 6000's that bump like they were new

i got my 7500 for $75 on ebay NEW! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Scotty2Naughty: Yeah for a 10 this thing pounds. Its louder than my friends xplode 12 by far. Im giving it 400rms and it sounds great. I just need to upgrade my enclosure.

lucas569: Yeah this sub does play well with a wide spectrum. I really like that box you have. I just designed a ported box for mine that im gonna try to put together. Right now its in a sealed prefab and sounds good i cant wait to hear it ported.

Vortec Stroker: I noticed that as well when i got mine and looked for it on the mtx site. I thought that was kinda wierd.

I truely am impressed with this thing each day. The more songs i hear the more i am enlightened into the versatility of this thing. I really cant wait til i have my box built. Its a ported box tuned to 38hz. i dont know a whole lot about building boxes but i did the math and found a port calculator and my design is almost spot on for the ported specs according to mtx. If anyone has any tips on enclosures that would be great as well. Im glad to hear all the good words on this sub, its alot better than my pioneer which nobody either knew about or they just sh*t talked pioneer subs in general. Thanks for all the replies. Keep em coming.

By the way the specs of the box are L:26.75" W:13.5" H:13.5". THis includes the port, but the internal volume not including the port is equal to to just about 1.52ft^3 and if you take out .07 for the sub it comes to 1.45 which is the mtx recommended volume. The port size is 12x2x25.5 which is .35 inches under the recommeded length from the calculator. If anyone knows about enclosures could you let me know if this sounds reasonable. This is the second box ive made and most technical. eitherway its a learning experience.

i got my 7500 for $75 on ebay NEW! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif
New or refurbished? I've seen plenty of refurbed 7500s for around that. If you got it new thats a fair price. Not that it matters anyways really refurbs are just reconed drivers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.