New Home Audio System

Motley
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I was looking at getting a new home audio system, and I need to buy local like from BB.

So I found this setup, let me know what ya think?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9385747&productCategoryId=abcat0205004&type=product&id=1218096162766

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9246595&productCategoryId=abcat0202003&type=product&id=1218067379539

I also have a question about the subwoofer connection, for the powered sub, what connector do I need for that Sony receiver?

Meh...

Quick search of your local Craigslist reveals: http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/1357514867.html

Definitely talk to that guy. The speakers aren't great, but that deal is worth it simply for the processor and separate amps alone. But even those speakers would do better than the junk that comes with that Klipsch set.

Wait, are you looking for something for audio, or home theater? Big difference...

Meh...
Quick search of your local Craigslist reveals: http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/1357514867.html

Definitely talk to that guy. The speakers aren't great, but that deal is worth it simply for the processor and separate amps alone. But even those speakers would do better than the junk that comes with that Klipsch set.

Wait, are you looking for something for audio, or home theater? Big difference...
hmm, I though Kipsch was good quality speakers? Yes this for Home Theater setup, with PS3 gaming, and Blue-ray movies.

I want 7.1, and I actually already have a set of Kipsch floor speakers to serve as the front LR channels.

I was looking at getting a new home audio system, and I need to buy local like from BB.
So I found this setup, let me know what ya think?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9385747&productCategoryId=abcat0205004&type=product&id=1218096162766

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9246595&productCategoryId=abcat0202003&type=product&id=1218067379539

I also have a question about the subwoofer connection, for the powered sub, what connector do I need for that Sony receiver?
don't waste your money on the Sony receiver, get a nice Yamaha or Denon you'll thank me later. as for the sub connection you need a sub (mono RCA cable) cable or you can use an nice 75ohm coax cable. the speaker set up is okay but you'll be highly dissappointed in what a 100watt powered sub does with a 7.1 system. I always recommend my customer get a sub or build a sub that does atleast half of the RMS of all the surround speakers total.

question I have is why do you want to go with 7.1? 99% of all blu-ray movies are formatted to 5.1 so you just have 2 speaker producing no sound.

hmm, I though Kipsch was good quality speakers? Yes this for Home Theater setup, with PS3 gaming, and Blue-ray movies.
I want 7.1, and I actually already have a set of Kipsch floor speakers to serve as the front LR channels.
7.1 is unnecessary and useless. Go 5.1 and buy better gear.

7.1 is unnecessary and useless. Go 5.1 and buy better gear.
It's not useless at all .... i got 7.2 and there's a HUGE difference to 5.2..and no its not a home theater in a box **** either Yamaha RX-V3800 receiver and Axiom M80s and Paradigm reference

It's not useless at all .... i got 7.2 and there's a HUGE difference to 5.2..and no its not a home theater in a box **** either Yamaha RX-V3800 receiver and Axiom M80s and Paradigm reference
it's not that it's useless just that only 1% of all blu-rays have true 7.1 sound formattes. i'm sure your system sound great but I'd gladly put up any of the 5.1 systems that my customers get against yours especailly when it comes to movie quality sound. I know how good your speakers are and by no means are those mid grade, matter of fact most of my customers choose Paradigm b/c they look good and sound even better. just that when it comes to home theatre (movie quality) you're better off running a better placed 5.1 system than a 7.1 system. I'd rather spend an hour properly tuning a nice 5.1 system than just putting in a 7.1 system and leaving it alone. tuning and placement mean more when doing surround sound than most ppl think.

You are an idiot. Most movies don't hgave true 7.1 encoding, so it is matrixed from the 5.1 info. In most home where the distances are not too long from front to back, it is usuesless waste.

7.1 is useless unless you have a huge room.

As for Klipsch, the older ones and re-issues of the Heritage lines are great, but not the home-theater-in-a-box level products.

I have to agree 7.1 isnt a main stream thing

sure a few movies are in 7.1 but not to many

I was looking at the klipsch set up close to that, I agree with most, you will want a bigger sub

Well the PS3 games support 7.1 now, not all of them, but some do.

If I have the 7.1 setup, and the movie has 5.1, can't I setup/configure the receiver to utilize the 7.1s?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.