new box = bad sound :(

robertoyoung08
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
bay area, ca
Just built a box someone designed for me. 2 AA chaos subs. In this new box my subs don't sound as good and it even clips my amp at certain frequencies (mostly highs). This box has many more turns and angles than old one.

I'm assuming this is due to the tuning coming from my amp? Any help would be great.

New box may have less impedance rise causing your amp to have more output and that may cause the amp to clip. As for the bad sound try adding some bracing to take up some interior volume or playing with the port

What kind of box Roberto ?
old was a 4th order and this new one is a 4th order as well.

The box doesn't cause distortion in your amp.
List specs of box, post some pics, you gave very little information.
I was thinking that the design of the box is making the speakers work differently than my old box. therefore with the settings that my amp is set to now, this isnt the most efficient and effective way for the subs to play and as a result i am getting bad sound.

We are going to need a little bit more info to help you out. A new box wont cuase your amp to clip. Did you go from a sealed to ported enclosure?
I am going from 4th order to 4th order. So not a major change. As i mentioned in the original post, this box does have many more turns and angles. The other box just had a ported chamber (where the motor was) and a sealed chamber (where the cones were).

This thread is worthless without pictures.
lol ill get some

New box may have less impedance rise causing your amp to have more output and that may cause the amp to clip. As for the bad sound try adding some bracing to take up some interior volume or playing with the port
thanks. this was the type of theory i was thinking. I havent touched my amp since the subs were in the other box, so i found it funny that there is a change in how the subs are making the amp react. But i was thinking perhaps im having to crank the volume more to get the same output (or something like this) and therefore having an end result on the amp as the subs play.

Maybe having phase or cancellation issues
Caused by what do you think? How have you been btw man? I saw you rolling through town a couple months back. Don't think you saw me though.

old was a 4th order and this new one is a 4th order as well.

I was thinking that the design of the box is making the speakers work differently than my old box. therefore with the settings that my amp is set to now, this isnt the most efficient and effective way for the subs to play and as a result i am getting bad sound.

I am going from 4th order to 4th order. So not a major change. As i mentioned in the original post, this box does have many more turns and angles. The other box just had a ported chamber (where the motor was) and a sealed chamber (where the cones were).

lol ill get some

thanks. this was the type of theory i was thinking. I havent touched my amp since the subs were in the other box, so i found it funny that there is a change in how the subs are making the amp react. But i was thinking perhaps im having to crank the volume more to get the same output (or something like this) and therefore having an end result on the amp as the subs play.

Doing good. Yea didn't see you. But a show at gregs tomorrow. We can see what's going on if you like

Caused by what do you think? How have you been btw man? I saw you rolling through town a couple months back. Don't think you saw me though.
Doing ok. Didn't see you. Show at gregs tomorrow. Come by. We'll take a look

Doing ok. Didn't see you. Show at gregs tomorrow. Come by. We'll take a look
Good to hear man. Yeah it was few months back. It was at the post office on Davis actually.

Good idea. what time is the show at? I have work but I can try to stop by at some point.

11 am start
cool i'll try to stop by. do you know till when it'll run?

Either phase or just the design, 4th orders alllow little room for errors
thanks. i think i may have just found the problem. combination of impedance and phase, i think.

went and bought a multimeter and metered my impedence. I couldnt get a read at the +/_ terminals so i pulled the subs. i thought they were dual 2 ohm and turns out they are dual 1 (.7 to be exact).

right from the start my impedance was wrong. I'm still working on it, but looks like im about to run out of time for the night. Any educated guesses from you guys as far as being able to tell if this could be the culprit for both the clipping and ****** sound??

What happens if you have a mucher higher impedance load than recomended on an amp?

--> example: if an amp only takes up to 4 ohms and you feed it a load of 12 ohms?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.