New 2012 Type R?

I'd love to see a thermal test of the new R, when Jacob tested the 600wrms version, it went up in smoke when exposed to just a little over its rms rating.
Is that supposed to be a bad thing? They take rated power, that's what the rating is there for

They're deffinently a sub that cannot go much over there rating. If you clip them, they will blow.
That is one of the downsides that the R's lack when compared to sundown, skar, dc, etc.
Clipping doesn't kill them. It's overpowering them that does

Its because we are getting spoiled with all of these "over engineered" internet companies like Sundown, DC, Obsidian, SSA, etc. They are rapidly raising the bar and mainstream companies are going to have to release more competitive products or they will

have to shut down.
Ehhhh? You think these Internet brands have that much hold over the market that they'll shut down Alpine?

i have the 2011 type r version also (swr-1043d) and i had it in a sealed box and it sounded like crap, it was cuz the box it was in i bought it from amazon for liek 20 bucks. it was mtx basslammer box. then i bought an atrend ported box and it sounded a MILLION times better.
this time around for my dual alpines my box just finished being built by mobile enclosures and he has an awesome little design for me. hes really an incredible builder and works with you. i cant wiat to hear how it sounds in his ported box
any word on the box yet is it built any pics...

Is that supposed to be a bad thing? They take rated power, that's what the rating is there for
Clipping doesn't kill them. It's overpowering them that does

Ehhhh? You think these Internet brands have that much hold over the market that they'll shut down Alpine?
that'll never happen lol.

looks good im eager to hear how these sound compare to the older ones...
yeah me too. i made the box kinda small because i wanted it to fit in the back part of my trunk. the trunk in the accord is HUGE but i didn't want to go crazy on a custom deisgn because the wheels outline in the frame and it curves up so i fit it in between the two wheel wells in the very back of the trunk so he worked with the space that i gave him.

im very eager to hear how it sounds too!

end of this week i should have everything in! my lc2i should be here on wednesday from repair and my box should be here hopefully by thursday or friday!

yeah me too. i made the box kinda small because i wanted it to fit in the back part of my trunk. the trunk in the accord is HUGE but i didn't want to go crazy on a custom deisgn because the wheels outline in the frame and it curves up so i fit it in between the two wheel wells in the very back of the trunk so he worked with the space that i gave him.
im very eager to hear how it sounds too!

end of this week i should have everything in! my lc2i should be here on wednesday from repair and my box should be here hopefully by thursday or friday!
cool deal

Its because we are getting spoiled with all of these "over engineered" internet companies like Sundown, DC, Obsidian, SSA, etc. They are rapidly raising the bar and mainstream companies are going to have to release more competitive products or they will have to shut down.
Or rate the power handling lower than actual...

There are so many definitions of power handling out there it's hard to say what is "actual" power handling. To me it is clamped power in a repeatable test (I've went over what my thermal test is already) and I leave some slack for incorrect enclosures, amp settings, etc. Typically I set the bar high thermally and rate mechanically in free air from there.

Even within "AES" standards there are quite a few acceptable variations. I have customers that just use it to match the number on their amps; others want to know what it takes "daily at 20 Hz"; others that really don't know what they are asking for; etc, etc.

i would like to see some broken in tsp's on these, i personally wouldnt run them, i was never impressed with the older models, the only good thing about them is they are cheap, but that comes with its own downsides.

and I'm pretty sure that PPI isnt the company it once was, if you really take a close look at that amp it says in the details that is an all surface mount board and has a plastic top on it, thats just yelling cheap design to me.

i personally love the PPI black ice amp im running my HAT imagines on. it sounds VERY good, i purchased the PPI Black ice 1800.1D because it was the cheapest i found for most power i can find and i was on a very limited budget. so at 1800 watts RMS, im going to throw about 800 watts each so it will have about 200 watts left to play with, i dont like to max out the RMS rating just in case.

and also i love alpine. the build quality on these subs is really amazing, it is so sturdy and heavy and everything just looks and feels right. i loved my last years version of the type r so i upgraded to this years new model why not? i paid 283 total for both subs and 229 for the amp.

I have two of the swr-12d2's powered by a kicker zxs1500.1. I never heard any of the old type R's but these new ones sound pretty good. My zxs does 1583@2ohms and the subs take it like a champ. My enclosure is 1.5 cu ft per chamber at 35 hertz. Running off a factory Dodge ram head unit.

I have two of the swr-12d2's powered by a kicker zxs1500.1. I never heard any of the old type R's but these new ones sound pretty good. My zxs does 1583@2ohms and the subs take it like a champ. My enclosure is 1.5 cu ft per chamber at 35 hertz. Running off a factory Dodge ram head unit.
ok so my precision power black ice 1800 watt amp didnt give off any sound. it powered on but no sound was coming out from the terminals (tested with DMM) so i returned it and purchased a hifonics brutus 2100 from sonics. comes in on tuesday and cant wait!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.