New 2012 Type R?

I too was just comparing the 2 owners manuals and they're pretty similiar in alot of the categories. Maybe the R is taking over where the X left off and a new x is getting an upgrade (If they're even making it anymore). Alpine is really stepping it up in 12' from what i've been reading..

Makes me want one.

The Type-R is a really great sub especially @ the price it's offered.

IIRC the 2012 revision is mainly mechanical to the cone, triple joint, and spider... I spoke to their engineer, Jim, at CES about it -- I do not recall him mentioning any major thermal (coil or ventilation) changes. The Type-R was already ahead of the mainstream pack anyway so the 1kw rating should be fine with the updates.

The test I run for our ratings is alot different than what many others use as our test allows very little movement (60 Hz sine wave). I believe Alpine uses a test that includes much more excursion (lower frequency) and hence more air over the coil.

The Type-R is a really great sub especially @ the price it's offered.
IIRC the 2012 revision is mainly mechanical to the cone, triple joint, and spider... I spoke to their engineer, Jim, at CES about it -- I do not recall him mentioning any major thermal (coil or ventilation) changes. The Type-R was already ahead of the mainstream pack anyway so the 1kw rating should be fine with the updates.

The test I run for our ratings is alot different than what many others use as our test allows very little movement (60 Hz sine wave). I believe Alpine uses a test that includes much more excursion (lower frequency) and hence more air over the coil.
Your tests are closer to putting a sub to a wall socket than anything right?

how is warranty replacing them when the current type r's are still in stock and blowing a sub is your fault lol.... not hatin im jus sayin thats awesome tho!
i am planning on running 850 watts to each sub thats not underpowering too much
Because they were under warranty, the place I bought them from no longer carries them, and I was running them within specs, so it wasnt my fault that they blew.

Because they were under warranty, the place I bought them from no longer carries them, and I was running them within specs, so it wasnt my fault that they blew.
if you were running them within specs they should'nt blow. but anyway im glad your getting the new ones! post some feedback to let us know! im really anxious as these look very promising and i really wanna get em but i dont wanna be the guine pig and get rid of my perfectly fine 2011 type r for no reason

Your tests are closer to putting a sub to a wall socket than anything right?
Yes. We use a wall socket and a dimmer to dial power in -- which is not only 60 Hz but a really nasty 60 Hz wave at that (suppose I should not have said sine wave). It uses a Triac and looks like this on the output end :

TZL111_Drivers_for_Fig_3.jpg

This type of signal with low movement will cook a coil much quicker than a higher excursion test. I like my test as I consider it "worst possible scenario" -- if the sub handles 5+ minutes on that the rating is incredibly conservative thermally. My goal is zero thermal failures at our ratings. We have actually found very few other products that will pass this test for 5+ minutes even if they will take a severe beating under music conditions.

In any event... what I am getting at; while the Type-R didn't like MY test it passes Alpine's test very well / will be fine @ that power on music and is an extremely good driver all in all -- the new Alpine stuff is easily my favorite mainstream stuff hands down.

I didn't even realize they redesigned the new Rs again as the '11s were fairly new. Also for the price, the new Type-S look great to me... curious to see how they sound with the underhung design.

I didn't even realize they redesigned the new Rs again as the '11s were fairly new. Also for the price, the new Type-S look great to me... curious to see how they sound with the underhung design.
I agree.

The new Type-S looks very pleasing.

I'd love to try these.. I used to run the old type r's I loved how they sounded, alot of people did. I do like my SA12's but they sound soo different and sometimes I miss my Type R's

I dont like how people say the SQ has dropped in these though

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

I agree.
The new Type-S looks very pleasing.
Id rather pay the extra $10 for the Type R

They're deffinently a sub that cannot go much over there rating. If you clip them, they will blow.
That is one of the downsides that the R's lack when compared to sundown, skar, dc, etc.
lol I think my m2 at .5 says differently. I was running 1700rms to one 10'' R for like 2 months no problems.

lol I think my m2 at .5 says differently. I was running 1700rms to one 10'' R for like 2 months no problems.
I worded that poorly. I meant to say, if you give them any sort of clipped signal, they will not handle much over there rated RMS.

Better?

Clamp test or I call BS....unless you played the sub for like 20 seconds then turned it down
dd m2 rated at 1700rms at 1ohm, I am now running at .5 ohm to 2. I used amp power just like every other single person that says they are running x amount of watts. You honestly think I care if you believe how much power I am running?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.