Need advise for batteries & 2 amps

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ellessucs

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey with a 130amp factory alternator. I have done big 3 with ground to chassis and engine ground. I run a 2000watt RMS mono block at one ohm to an 18" ampere audio subwoofer (2000watts RMS). The sub is wired with 4 gauge wire with banana clips and 4 to 8 reducers for sub wiring, and 0 to 0 for power and ground. Ground is grounded on steel frame (solid).

Now for my question. I want to add a 2000watts RMS 2 channel amp at 2 ohms with 2 12 inch pioneer old school premiere champion pro's to the mix.
How should I go about do this? Can I get away with 1 extra battery (0 gauge leads from front to back battery with inline 200amp anl fuse)?

What would be my best approach (budget wise...cheapest...lol) to run both amps with the factory 130amp alternator? My vehicle has nav and res that is disconnected so the additional amperage from alternator is largly dedicated to normal operations with no additional utilities.

Any advise would be greratly apriciated and thank you ahead of time.

Personally, adding inferior subs to the mix usually disappoints.

But id you must...

Run parallel 1/0 gauge +/-runs from alternator and run 2-way strio from the 2nd batter posative for the amps. 3-way distro from the negative (two for the amps and 1 for a parallel ground in the rear of the car.)

https://www.acdcwireandsupply.com/EXCELENE_WELDING_CABLE_s/1855.htm

https://www.bestcaraudio.com/car-audio-myths-you-cant-ground-a-car-audio-amplifier-to-the-battery/

As for the 2nd battery, keeping the voltage similar, run one of these and your should be good.

- OR -

Series 1, 2 or 3 depending on the AH storage you prefer

Or one of these if the drop to the near $500 price on memorial day.

No HO alternator upgrade needed. This setup with any of the batteries listed will be good for systems up to 8-12K depending on which battery you choose.

Personally, adding inferior subs to the mix usually disappoints.

But id you must...

Run parallel 1/0 gauge +/-runs from alternator and run 2-way strio from the 2nd batter posative for the amps. 3-way distro from the negative (two for the amps and 1 for a parallel ground in the rear of the car.)

https://www.acdcwireandsupply.com/EXCELENE_WELDING_CABLE_s/1855.htm

https://www.bestcaraudio.com/car-audio-myths-you-cant-ground-a-car-audio-amplifier-to-the-battery/

As for the 2nd battery, keeping the voltage similar, run one of these and your should be good.

- OR -

Series 1, 2 or 3 depending on the AH storage you prefer

Or one of these if the drop to the near $500 price on memorial day.

No HO alternator upgrade needed. This setup with any of the batteries listed will be good for systems up to 8-12K depending on which battery you choose.
Thank you for the reply. It is greatly appreciated!

As for the pioneer subs...

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Champion+Series+PRO/TS-W3002D2|D4

13+ year old subs have been constantly abused...lol...@ 1000watts true rms in a 2.5 cubic ft vented enclosure tuned to 35Hz. I am honestly impressed with these subs. I must say that these are the only Pioneer subwoofers I would ever use or recommend to anyone. I was blown away how loud and clean these have operated over the years. I wish I would have gotten the spl measured, as these sub are underestimated immensly!

But yes you are correct, these subs are temporary. This is more of an experment to satisfy curiousity.

What I have gained in low frequency with the 18 (which is beautiful), I have sacrifice in in overall spl volume. So to suppliment I want to add these to the mix. Call it a fankenstien build at this point (which will make my clean set up ugly perhaps). At least for the time being.

The enclosure for my 18 is a cutom build, 5cubic ft (after displacement), 1" panels, tuned to 31Hz but hits well below that. Im playing tones down to 24Hz and lower with very satifying results with the factory alt and battery. Deffinatly need to upgrade in order to get proper power to amp and sub. Im happy with the enclosure but not satisfied...lol. As a bass head, I am never truly satisfied.

As I dont usually do burst or compete, is there a battery set up (like amg deep cycle) that could be used for daily driver use? I usually play hard anywhere between 10-15 minutes at least once or twice a day. Or is the recommendation still the same battery wise? As a daily driver, the stock 130 alt is still ok to use with two amps and extra battery? or with what I am looking to do as a daily driver, would the alt need upgraded as well?

Thank you again for your reply and I am very appriciative for your experience and advice.

I owned the Pioneer SPL 5000's, the big brother to those subs and they were very good. Some of the best sounding sealed subs I've owned were the 12" $100 budget bang'n units from pioneer's so, not a slight on Pio at all. But if we're talking about the 18" Brahma, (assuming it is the Brahma) that is another thing altogether though. Why not another 18" Brahma? Sell the 2K amp, get a taramps Smart Bass 5k and add another brahma 18? Lol. it's all good.

Any of those battery configurations will negate the need for any HO ALT upgrade at all. Some of them like the Glow Voltage series 3 (20ah) will support a 12K system. I opted for the series 1 (96AH) for my 4500 watt system. They will all take care of what you are trying to do and then some. The limitless is the least expensive of the options and OI think it may be good for up to 3.5K?

Run the parallel cable, parallel ground to ensure no lack of ground path, should be good to go. You are considering a 4-6K setup, you need additional power from a 2nd battery for this to be optimal. A very large (biggest you could fit) AGM under the hood might suffice, but will still be strained to deliver on any realistic large draw, not big enough , not fast enough.

I run a BOSCH S6 AGM under the hood and the Glow Voltage Series 1 in the rear. I'd say that you could likely get away with a 100A BMS controlled $250 LiTime LiFePO in the rear, but that is a savings of only $150 off the glow and $50 of the limitless. I have a stock 110A alternator.

How I would approach it is install your new amplifier and start using it.
Install a voltage gauge and if you see your voltage lowering then add more battery.

Do you know how your voltage looks before the upgrade?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...