My subs don't seem to sound right "Or tight ?????"

Participant count
  • Participant list

almo4u

I am not sure what the proper term for this is but here goes

I don't seem to be getting tight bass from my subs.

I listen to a lot of techno & electronic music. My subs seem to be very deep and kinda dull they vibrate the seats all right but there doesn't seem to be much (bear with me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif here are my words to try and describe it) punch, kick, snapy thump, crisp thump or tight kick when I'm listening to those fast big bass line house tunes. (I hope this make sense) It seems to always be a dull long low slow thumps. It's almost like it's putting out bass for other parts of the tune instead of thumping on the bass beats only.

Now I know bass is kinda muddy anyways but Ive' heard other sound systems and they sound much better.

So here is my set up. It's all set up in my commercial 2005 Chevy 2500 van there's a partition behind the two front seats (work van)

A pioneer DEH-P7100BT :Pioneer USA - DEH-P7100BT - CD Receiver with Full Motion OEL Display, Built-In Bluetooth and USB Direct Control of iPod

I have alpine Mrp m500 mono amp :Alpine MRP-M500 Mono subwoofer amplifier 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

Two Polk audio db1040 10" subwoofers: Polk Audio db1040 10" Subwoofers Car Subwoofers Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

I am also using theses boxes/enclosures: Single 10" Angled Truck or Hatchback Box (10ANTCM) 10" Angled Subwoofer Enclosures Angled Subwoofer Enclosures Car Subwoofer Enclosures Car Subwoofer Installation & Accessories Car Audio/Video Installation & Accessories Car Audio, Video, & GPS Naviga

I have them wired parallel have a cap all the wiring should be more than ample.

I have two door speakers Stock ones for now running of the head unit and two 6x9's running of a separate old RF amp.

I was told that my sub boxes are a bit small for the subs recommendations but these are the only ones that will fit in my van. Polk recommends a minimum of .66 CuFt and my boxes are only .58 CuFt.

I was also told that stuffing them with AcoustaStuf (it's like wool) would help.

I have sum of this on order but do you think this would make much of a difference.

I'm not too well up on this stuff I am only getting into it I haven't touched any settings on the amp yet.

Any help would be great simply fixes would be nice but I wanna hear your expert opinions.

I know my subs were cheap but I thought they are reasonable quality. Could it really be the cheap subs?

Let me know what you think

Thanks again

Sounds to me like the sub is doing what it is supposed to. I think you desire the exaggerated tubby sound others tend to like from highly tuned ported enclosures. Go to a custom shop and get them to build you a decent enclosure - a Bass Reflex design. Those off the shelf boxes aren't the best.

I am not sure what the proper term for this is but here goes I don't seem to be getting tight bass from my subs.

I listen to a lot of techno & electronic music. My subs seem to be very deep and kinda dull they vibrate the seats all right but there doesn't seem to be much (bear with me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif here are my words to try and describe it) punch, kick, snapy thump, crisp thump or tight kick when I'm listening to those fast big bass line house tunes. (I hope this make sense) It seems to always be a dull long low slow thumps. It's almost like it's putting out bass for other parts of the tune instead of thumping on the bass beats only.

Now I know bass is kinda muddy anyways but Ive' heard other sound systems and they sound much better.

So here is my set up. It's all set up in my commercial 2005 Chevy 2500 van there's a partition behind the two front seats (work van)

A pioneer DEH-P7100BT :Pioneer USA - DEH-P7100BT - CD Receiver with Full Motion OEL Display, Built-In Bluetooth and USB Direct Control of iPod

I have alpine Mrp m500 mono amp :Alpine MRP-M500 Mono subwoofer amplifier 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

Two Polk audio db1040 10" subwoofers: Polk Audio db1040 10" Subwoofers Car Subwoofers Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

I am also using theses boxes/enclosures: Single 10" Angled Truck or Hatchback Box (10ANTCM) 10" Angled Subwoofer Enclosures Angled Subwoofer Enclosures Car Subwoofer Enclosures Car Subwoofer Installation & Accessories Car Audio/Video Installation & Accessories Car Audio, Video, & GPS Naviga

I have them wired parallel have a cap all the wiring should be more than ample.

I have two door speakers Stock ones for now running of the head unit and two 6x9's running of a separate old RF amp.

I was told that my sub boxes are a bit small for the subs recommendations but these are the only ones that will fit in my van. Polk recommends a minimum of .66 CuFt and my boxes are only .58 CuFt.

I was also told that stuffing them with AcoustaStuf (it's like wool) would help.

I have sum of this on order but do you think this would make much of a difference.

I'm not too well up on this stuff I am only getting into it I haven't touched any settings on the amp yet.

Any help would be great simply fixes would be nice but I wanna hear your expert opinions.

I know my subs were cheap but I thought they are reasonable quality. Could it really be the cheap subs?

Let me know what you think

Thanks again
Highlighted in red is what is likely your main problem. "Tight bass" is more a function of your midbass driver, and less a function of your sub. Change your front speakers to something with a good midbass presence, and you should feel much better about how your subs sound.

Keep in mind though, most of what you are listening to is lacking in the "tight bass" area...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.