My Project S-Series... long winded and lots of pix

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gearstix
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Well.. I might as well post this. This is my truck. Got it for free. Have lots of plans for it.

Sonoma001.jpg

When I got it, it seemed like it just need a hood and a bumper.

But.. when I started to poke around with it. The carpet is completely ruined. Headliner is shot, previous owner said the clutch is bad, starter is bad, rear bumper is ruined, tailgate is ruined, front bumper support is ruined.. etc.

So I've been looking for parts for a while now. Going to do some 'custom' work on it...

I have bought a set of 1995 Sonoma 1 piece headlights, the 95 grille (same as mine, just meant for the different headlights)

I have a mint tailgate. I have a new dash bezel, which is meant for a tilt colum (oops... but I have a way to make it work)

I have a whole front bumper assembly.

I tossed out the bench that was broken. I have some first gen Prelude buckets I need to fab up some brackets for.

Body and frame wise the truck is very solid. All surface rust. No holes.

It is a tad bit high mileage in my opion. 222,801 kms, (about 159,000 miles)

Its got a 2.2L 4 cylinder and a 5 speed Borg T-5.

I do have a engine swap planned. I have a 1982 6.2L diesel on the way sometime. It should drop right in with a few mods and the best part is its a mechanical engine, no computer, very minimal wiring.

Hopefully after aqueqate suspension and frame mods, the diesel will have a new home.

I will be POR-15'in the frame, to stop the surface rust, and all the body work will be done on it.

I plan to shave the tail lights, fabricate a roll pan, might shave the doors, shave the tailgate, get rid of all the emblems, and make a custom grille insert.

I will hopefully bag it at some point.

I know it looks like a piece of junk, but a wise man on S10Forum once said.

"Rough just means you can spend more money on it and not feel guilty".

All I need now for body parts is a set of mirrors.

The 4 cyl runs great, it all runs and drives good, needs a we bit of work, I think it needs a tie rod end..

I'm not sure what color I will paint it when it comes down to it. I'm thinking the same color it is now, radar blue (the purpley blue)

Here are some more pictures.

94Sonoma22L002.jpg

94Sonoma22L001.jpg

94Sonoma22L008.jpg

This thing is long gone. Along with the hockey pucks and cardboard and sheet metal that held it in

94Sonoma22L015.jpg

Bought a GMC Jimmy hood, has a few dings but not bad.

Pcitures011.jpg

We got the front end lined up pretty good!

Pcitures010.jpg

New starter..

Starter003.jpg

Found this abandoned in a field. Will cover my blowthrough and compressor gear if I bag it.

DSC01057.jpg

DSC01059.jpg

Here it is straight piped.. lol

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q106/gearstix/Sonoma/?action=view&current=SonomaStraightPipe.flv

I know its not the greatest but I have another mode of transportation right now. Its my lil project.

So far I have about $500 into it. I can weld and fabricate, my uncle is a professional ticketed welder, my dad has a service truck, and my cousin is an electrican. Should have no issues.. lol.

Lol I wish 8 15s. If somebody would like to come to my neck of the woods, endure -40*F winters and help me do a walk-through right, thats about the only way that would get done.

I have two Mach 5 SPL-12s in my closet waiting for my build to start.

Lol I wish 8 15s. If somebody would like to come to my neck of the woods, endure -40*F winters and help me do a walk-through right, thats about the only way that would get done.
I have two Mach 5 SPL-12s in my closet waiting for my build to start.
youre gonna do a walkthrough with 2 little old 12s? lol

youre gonna do a walkthrough with 2 little old 12s? lol
No. A blowthrough. I'm kinda thinking a walkthrough will weaken the cab too much, and with a big ole GM Detroit Diesel in between the frame rails, its gunna need all the rigidity it can get. 6.2L > 2.2L

Should be loud. I would like to do a wall with 4 MJ-18s. but ...

I'm getting the diesel for nothing aswell, and its a rebuilt engine with 40,000 miles. All I need is a transmission.

a diesel? damn, didnt read that part i guess lol. well if youre gonna be frying some tires off with it or something, id suggest upgrading the 10bolt rear end...they dont like a whole lot of torque...lol

a diesel? damn, didnt read that part i guess lol. well if youre gonna be frying some tires off with it or something, id suggest upgrading the 10bolt rear end...they dont like a whole lot of torque...lol
I'm going to run a 94ish Ford Explorer 4x4 Posi rear. It will drop right in with an adapter piece from an explorer, and is like 3" wider per side I think.

150hp and 240lb.ft of torque.. stock. I might turbocharge it.. muaha.

I was chatting with a guy who has a 6.2 in a buick roadmaster wagon. Hes getting hyrbrid car mileage with it, I think he said around 34mpg... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

how the hell did u get the truck and engine free? and nice find on the topper too lol
sounds like itll be nice when done thought, subscribing
LMFAO. I'm trying to find a trans for free.

Topper was free.. lmao.

Just don't know when the guy is gunna be able to bring the motor to me.

hopefully when its done it should smoke more than me.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

On S10Forum theres a guy with a crew cab long box dually, with 22in semi truck wheels, and he has stepside fenders on a regular bed. truck is siiiicccck. And its bagged and bodydropped.

But I don't think I'll be doing a dually setup. I do like that grey truck above though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.