Modelling clay!!!

What are you using the clay for? For a seal or for an acoustic deadener? Clay is s wonderful thing to have inside any enclosure and for a lining inside kick panels. It gets pretty hot here during the summer and mine has never "melted" Probably 140+ inside the truck. I get mine from Michael's. As for the rope caulk, I guess it works good for a seal but I wold prefer a type of weather stripping.

i have never used the rope caulk or the clay.

i think i have a pretty good seal around my baffle...
IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

Modeling clay *****? Is that an intelligent statement? How's this: MDF *****. Copper wire *****. Chocolate ice cream *****. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

The non-hardening clay I buy and use in my car has not, and will not melt. It is, in fact, modeling clay that has wax added to it so that it will not dry out and harden.

Good material because it it's...

- easily formable with your fingers

- holds it form over time (plasticity)

- can be reused

- has pretty good weight to surface area ratio (mass)

- reduces the RF of the substrate (elasticity)

- sticks to a lot of different mediums

- "squishes" out of the way if you using it as a decoupler

Get a few pounds of NHMC and some cheap-o lead fishing sinkers and you have one nice mass loading compound that will do all the things i listed above and more. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I've used modeling clay a couple of times, and won't again.

The last go-round I used deadener and plastic cutting board for baffle.

That works the best for me so I'm stickin with it.

Nice to see some DIY guys up in here!

Modeling clay *****? Is that an intelligent statement? How's this: MDF *****. Copper wire *****. Chocolate ice cream *****. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
The non-hardening clay I buy and use in my car has not, and will not melt. It is, in fact, modeling clay that has wax added to it so that it will not dry out and harden.

Good material because it it's...

- easily formable with your fingers

- holds it form over time (plasticity)

- can be reused

- has pretty good weight to surface area ratio (mass)

- reduces the RF of the substrate (elasticity)

- sticks to a lot of different mediums

- "squishes" out of the way if you using it as a decoupler

Get a few pounds of NHMC and some cheap-o lead fishing sinkers and you have one nice mass loading compound that will do all the things i listed above and more. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
we drive the same car and i am not as smart as you, odd:confused:

i used modeling clay for the first time on my CMX install i did in august. i was also concerned about it melting cause i have a black on black car. but despite the fact that it got pretty **** hot here in august, the clay didnt move a bit and still sticks perfectly. best part is Michaels had different colors, so i got black so you cant see it through the grill //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif i think its great and it also helps when your baffles arent mounted to a flush surface (like mine)..it just fills in the gaps. still havent even deadened my door and theres little to no rattleing with 200wrms to each comp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif i say go for it, cheap as hell and works great AND as mentioned b4, its reusable.

we drive the same car and i am not as smart as you, odd:confused:
Have you ****ed your install up more than you've got it right and learned what works and what doesn't in the process? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

This works, but it will be better when I re do it.....

P1010069.jpg

....I know this because I was willing to try and experiment in the first place.

Chocolate ice cream with sprinkles! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

evers

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
evers
placentia,ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date