mdf vs birch

Also mdf is saw dust city - and softer so corners easier dent real easy and like said above , heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone did a great test a few months ago

Found osb was significantly stronger than mdf and way cheaper

At osb price you could build a box just to try it

Someone did a great test a few months agoFound osb was significantly stronger than mdf and way cheaper

At osb price you could build a box just to try it
refer to post #6 thats the whole test and i even listed out what his numbers translate to with pricing and weight for 4x8 feet sheet.

not a matter of which is better, but there an AUDIBLE difference between the 2????
I don't know which sounds better (probably a wash) but I like birch plywood. More like real wood! 7 ply birch plywood is what I had my installer guy use to build my little sub enclosure!

16178649_1262252723835205_1850987712921274411_o.jpg

John Kuthe...

ive ran birch and mdf and birch is so much lighter for my chubby @ss to lift lol but i use mdf for the whole 30$ a sheet vs 50$ plus. now i could be wrong but to me i havent heard a difference but i double/triple baffle my boxes and brace the fawk out of them either way. current box is mdf with a birch baffle so i can paint the box but stain the baffle. for a different look. but personally haven't noticed a sound difference.

ive ran birch and mdf and birch is so much lighter for my chubby @ss to lift lol but i use mdf for the whole 30$ a sheet vs 50$ plus. now i could be wrong but to me i havent heard a difference but i double/triple baffle my boxes and brace the fawk out of them either way. current box is mdf with a birch baffle so i can paint the box but stain the baffle. for a different look. but personally haven't noticed a sound difference.
that 50 dollar a sheet birch ply is just china pine with a birch veneer on top. Might as well get 13 layer pine ply for 30 bucks. You are just paying 20 dollars extra for a layer of veneer.

Real baltic birch costs 100+ a sheet and is heavier.

that 50 dollar a sheet birch ply is just china pine with a birch veneer on top. Might as well get 13 layer pine ply for 30 bucks. You are just paying 20 dollars extra for a layer of veneer.
Real baltic birch costs 100+ a sheet and is heavier.
thank you =) lesson learned. all i got is lowes n home depot. iv heard of the baltic birch and cant find it around here (midland mi) another mdf con like mentioned is it chips easy and hates water, but thank you for clarifying that jeff. hate to give misinformation. just mentioned what i have in my area and experiance with.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

anything else at the depot or lowes better than mdf? or the fake birch?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.