JDAudiobox box cuts results....

joeldirt
10+ year member

Integrity
Well for those of you that know I have been developing an idea to provide MDF cut to specs for people with their own designs shipped to their front door... I have had two people use my services... And I would like to discuss how it all went.... I want to discuss my mistakes to show that I am an honest person and how I will learn from my errors.... The errors are not huge, and are really no big deal... Its all a learning process though....

1st I would like to explain that this is an experimentation process to see how well it will work... Mistakes at this stage are bound to happen... And in fact they did... But being as though I am honest and a business oriented person, I will not let that go to waste and burn any bridges.... Especially since the mistakes were minor...

First of all customer #1.

Eric Nguen....

Had some MDF with some Maple veneer on it... Asked him if he would mind if I gave him some of his cuts from it being as though it wouldn't affect it at all... It is only a very thin veneer glued onto the surface of it... I had a bunch of it and no raw MDF so I figured it would be a good substitute... We gave it a try... It doesn’t hinder the quality of the box what so ever accept the way it looks... Which I came to find out later that he doesn’t carpet his boxes! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif so it is not a clean bare MDF box... it is actually funny looking... I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN.

Also, I somehow managed to get a small spot of glue on one of the pieces... Have no idea how it got on there, but it did... so I will never ever send out a box without carefully inspecting the pieces individually as a quality assurance check..

The holes I cut out using my jasper circle jig were not perfectly smooth... They were, but they weren't... Any one who uses a circle jig with their router can attest to the fact that if you cut half way through all the way around, and flip it over to finish the hole cut out, there can be a tiny overlap of material that effects nothing, but is not "Perfect" as if it were done with a CNC machine (Which I am buying) This was not a problem, just he pointed it out to me....

And I also had some sketches on the pieces which he wasn’t impressed with... I didn’t bother to sand them off as I figured they would be covered with carpet... but again he doesn’t carpet his boxes.... so he didn’t like that... the sketches were from stuff at work that had nothing to do with nothing.... So I will never ever write anything on my pieces again... It will be bare clean raw MDF only! However I will stamp my name on each edge and face to verify that I have inspected it... The stamp is like any other normal stamp I have posted pics of it on the pieces I cut already....

Also I taped the pieces together so they wouldn’t slide around during shipping... apparently the tape sticks to the MDF... so I will never do that again either....

My 2nd trial was a mess of miscommunication...

With Pat Fitzpatrick.....

He wanted two boxes. one at 4.2 cubes, and the other at 7.... Two large boxes.... I had undersold my self on the price when i very first began this idea, and I thought that I had communicated to him the actual pricing that I had... I thought that I had made it clear that it would be $80.00 shipped for the 4.2 cube box which is accurate now. But he was under the impression that I was going to ship both for that price.... I messed up big with the original quote and now I have to eat it... I owe him a monster 7 cube box... He'll get it, I don't screw ppl.... But from now on I will not do a darn thing with out making darn sure that everything is perfectly crystal clear on it all....

Also apparently one of the pieces did get a little split on the corner during shipping.... I packaged it good, but I will be able to package it better.... like I said this is just the experimentation process... I have learned allot from this so far, and I think I have it down now pretty good....

As I said I wanted to post the progress of this idea in its testing stages, and I wanted to let you know that there were some mistakes but they are never going to happen again... I think I got it all under control. Once I get my shop situated, i will be able to do this much easier.... Also with my CNC router I will be able to deliver true perfection all around in about 10 minutes from start to finish....

lol...

I aint a dealer bro... I am just a dude experimenting with an idea... In this thread most people solicit business, they just do it in a way that doesnt break the rules.... I am not advertising actually I am just explaining how it went... So i don't think I am breaking any rules... In fact I am not making any offers at all... Just discussing a new business idea, and ideas on how to make it really realistic to do...

this post was basically a big advertisement for your business nothing else //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

this post was basically a big advertisement for your business nothing else //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

hmmmm. some people advertise in every thread they post in with their signature.... I didnt solicit any business at all... I had posted an idea a while back a few people were interrested to see if it could work.... I have been on this site for some time and offer allot of advice and help to allot of people... I have never solicited business on here... ever.... I just recently came up with this idea and wanted feed back from the members to see if they thought it was a realistic idea.... Then some people pm'd me off line and gave it a shot... others told me to post abck and tell how it went... and that is all that I am doing...

also check out the TCAB thread... BJ fish solicits.... whats the big deal? I am not hosting free advertising for my business... just having a discussion in an open forum about what I have been doing lately playing with an idea... I build boxes all the time... I haven't lately since I just moved out of the USMC from Hawaii to NOR CAL... But I have been building boxes for years. I have never advertised.... and I really don't think I am now... When it comes time for advertisement.... I'll simply put my web site in my signature.... thats it... word of mouth will do the rest.... as it has for me in the past... Just built a box for a ford F-150 extended cab for under the seat... turned out nice... two selaed kicker tens... sounds great.... looks great.... I didnt go blabbing about it with pictures in here trying to convince people I can build a box.... I can build a whole hell of alot more then a speaker box... I am a high end cabinet maker in a multy million dollar shop. I have plenty of business, and I am planning on taking my hobby into a profession doing audio enclosures... but I don't go advertising everywhere about it.... I just talk about ideas and see what people would think either good or bad... if bad I won't waste the time... but if good, then I'll give it a shot.... wanted to share to the people in here who were inteerested in how it went thats all.... obviously there were some wrinkles.... I plan on ironing out... Until I open the doors for business... I don't plan on advertising in here though... That is cheap... Not to mention it is about as useless as a set of falopian tubes on a dyke... I'll pay money to advertise propperly.... for now I am only seeking feedback, and giving feedback as to how the experimentation process is going.... thanks for the concern though...

lol...I aint a dealer bro... I am just a dude experimenting with an idea... In this thread most people solicit business, they just do it in a way that doesnt break the rules.... I am not advertising actually I am just explaining how it went... So i don't think I am breaking any rules... In fact I am not making any offers at all... Just discussing a new business idea, and ideas on how to make it really realistic to do...
You have quoted prices, something I would be hung if I did.

It doesn't bother me at all... for all I care spam every forum with a banner and a link.

But, forum rules dictate posts like this get deleted... the line was recently drawn very fine, and there was bannage for less than your doing here.

Then again, if there can be "I'm a box builder, buy from me" threads in the F/S forum, I guess this is "tame" in comparison //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I just see alot of favoritism - but its ca.com, nothing unusual.

hmmmm. some people advertise in every thread they post in with their signature.... I didnt solicit any business at all... I had posted an idea a while back a few people were interrested to see if it could work.... I have been on this site for some time and offer allot of advice and help to allot of people... I have never solicited business on here... ever.... I just recently came up with this idea and wanted feed back from the members to see if they thought it was a realistic idea.... Then some people pm'd me off line and gave it a shot... others told me to post abck and tell how it went... and that is all that I am doing...
watever my man... I'm sure this post will stay.

Good luck with it, hopefully you can keep prices reasonable and still make some $.

You have quoted prices, something I would be hung if I did.
It doesn't bother me at all... for all I care spam every forum with a banner and a link.

But, forum rules dictate posts like this get deleted... the line was recently drawn very fine, and there was bannage for less than your doing here.

Then again, if there can be "I'm a box builder, buy from me" threads in the F/S forum, I guess this is "tame" in comparison //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I just see alot of favoritism - but its ca.com, nothing unusual.
don't get me wrong I am not trying to argue... if this really is considered advertisement... then I'll knock it off. I didnt realize I was breaking any rules.. if I am then thats lame the rules are too tight.

rules... bend 'em break 'em.

advertisement blah blah.

all your talk trying point out that it's against the rules make it seem that way, but i'm sure he wasn't doing it on purpose. ****, i advertise, just in an unnoticable way. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

GL w/ the idea. I just wish you were closer to the south so I won't need my crappy table saw.

You are a complete ****ing idiot. You don't advertise by saying that you made mistakes, he's just being honest which I have no problem wtih. If anyone on here should care, it should be me because I've been *****ed out more times than everyone else combined. Just be quiet and stop dumping.

Keep it up Joel, and get back at me with what you were thinkin.

You are a complete ****ing idiot. You don't advertise by saying that you made mistakes, he's just being honest which I have no problem wtih. If anyone on here should care, it should be me because I've been *****ed out more times than everyone else combined. Just be quiet and stop dumping.

Keep it up Joel, and get back at me with what you were thinkin.
your the complete fucking idiot, making a thread all about his new business is advertising /story

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif Are you that dense? He's had like two threads discussing this service with people, I don't see him advertising ****. If he said that prices are....or the shipping prices for this size are..., then maybe. He's being OPEN about what went wrong, I don't see how telling people how an endeavor turned out is advertising. *******, if you can't contribute, just STFU.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.