Inverting multiple subs?

Decado2
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I did do a search, I do know you are supposed to reverse wire the inverted sub. My question is, should I reverse the rubber gasket or leave it on as is.

I figured, it would seal better if I reverse the gasket as that side is meant to be against the baffel.

I am inverting one of my subs because for whatever reason, I can't get it mounted flush when I put it in normal, the gasket keeps rolling off.

The sub was actually stuck in the box after the gasket got jammed in there, I had to puul the box out, drag it in the house and flip it upside down and lift it up and bang it on the floor multiple times to finaly get the sub out.

Was not easy considering each sub weighs around 50 lbs plus the 75 lbs box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif .

I don't really understand what you're doing.

Have you already reversed the gasket so it looks "normal" even though the sub is inverted?

Are you saying that the gasket stays on the sub when mounting it normally but the gasket comes off the frame when you try to invert it?

And how did the gasket get installed after you screwed the sub in (refering to the next-to-last paragraph)?

I don't really understand what you're doing.
Have you already reversed the gasket so it looks "normal" even though the sub is inverted?

Are you saying that the gasket stays on the sub when mounting it normally but the gasket comes off the frame when you try to invert it?

And how did the gasket get installed after you screwed the sub in (refering to the next-to-last paragraph)?
I will try to explain better:

When I dropped the sub in the baffel (cutout) , the gasket rolls up in 2 places, so the gasket is forced out of position and touching the surround.

After getting the sub out, I tried to figure out why the gasket keeps rolling up, I couldnt figure it out, but, I do not want to try mounting it again the normal way. I had a very hard time dropping it in the last time (lost a chunk of my index finger) because the sub is so heavy and the cutout is tight!

Now, I left the gasket as it was after the sub came out, in other words, its on as it should be if the sub were mounted uninverted, I flipped it over and dropped it into the cutout, it did not snag or roll back //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif .

So, my question is, should I take the gasket off and reverse it on the basket or leave it as it is and just bolt the sub down?

Oh, I am only mounting it that way because of the gasket issue, other than that, I would have preferred to have left it as it was accept it looked like poo with the gasket all fuged up.

Ok, gotcha. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If the gasket looks better reversed with your sub inverted (which I think it would), reverse the gasket and screw the sub back down.

Polekat, what exactly is an isobaric installation? I dont have it set up that way as far as I know lol , the box is 2 cubes tuned to 35hz common chamber.

I tried the reverse wiring of the inverted sub, but as soon as I wired it that way, the whole sub setup sounded as if..... one sub was wired wrong.

So I decided to wire them both as if they were both installed inside the box, then it went back to sounding just like it did before I pulled the sub out.

If it helps at all, both my subs are D2 and my amp is a Kicker Kx2500.1 , they are wired to 2 ohms.

Still unclear as to what your gasket problem is. Are you talking about the rubber ring that fits on the edge of the sub basket frame? Or is it a separate piece that you attach to the edge of the cutout hole in the baffle? Are you saying the gasket gets wedged in between the side of the mounting hole and the basket frame? As for the polarity, make sure to invert both coils on one of the subs if one sub is mounted backwards. Look at it this way - if one sub was facing forward and the other backwards, and they were both wired the same polarity, one sub's cone goes outward, while the other cone goes inward, and vise versa, resulting in cancellation.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.