Image Dynamics CTX65CS --- AMP Question --- How much power can they handle!

PowerShow

I'm putting a set of ID CTX65CS in my 2000 Reg. cab S10. I don't plan on running any dash speakers. I've got an Alpine CDA-105. Now my concern is with the amp. I had a 300/4 lined up but the deal fell through so I'm reconsidering. I want these components to last and want a reliable amp to power them with. Everywhere I read says they need 150+ to really come alive. Heres the amp options I'm kicking around:

Sundown Audio 125.2 - 125 RMS per channel - Read where I may be happier running an active crossover 4 channel set-up bridged?

Sundown Audio 100.4 - active bridged 320 RMS per channel - not sure if this will be too much for the CTX65CS's?

JL 300/4 - active bridged 150 RMS per channel

This is no competition system just looking for nice clean sound for my DD. What do you guys recommend?

Do you need a 4 channel amp? Why bridge it if you can just get a powerful two channel amp? I'd recommend the ARC KS300.2. It's 180w RMS x 2 at 4 ohm. Those components will be happy with that power.

Do you need a 4 channel amp? Why bridge it if you can just get a powerful two channel amp? I'd recommend the ARC KS300.2. It's 180w RMS x 2 at 4 ohm. Those components will be happy with that power.
Sometimes bridging a nice 4 channel amp is cheaper than buying a nice 2 channel amp for the same power.

And they can take more than 100 watts. Headroom is always nice. I'd go with the 320 per channel, but keep the gains down LOW. You'll get a nice clean sound from them, you won't be overextending the amplifier at all, just perfect.

IF you go with the 320 watt amp you deff should watch your gain control and volume knob. since the ctx series were made for drop in replacements they don't really require alot of power to get loud. anywhere betweetn 150 to 200 watts rms clean power should be plenty for them.

The reason I want to bridge a 4 channel is so I can run the crossovers active through the amp rather than passive for more tune-ability, etc.. I would love the Sundown 100.4 but I think I may go with a nice used JL 300/4 for budget reasons. (Fuel pump is on its way out)

Anybody got a good, reliable 300/4 for around 150-200?

you cant run the 300/4 bridged and active at the same time

if you want to go active, dont bridge it. run the tweets off the front channels, xover set to around 2-2.5k highpass, and the mids off the rear channels, xover around 2k or so, lowpass

then use your decks xover to highpass the mids and lowpass the sub/s

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.