I Had an Epiphany

Participant count
  • Participant list

Grimmjoww

CarAudio.com Veteran
Ok so I got a new ride, 2008 C300. Its a cool car and I really dig it, the speaker locations already setup for components are cool and it has a decent head unit. I have been looking for a way to get some boom in the car without sacrificing the entire trunk. The back seat has a "pass through" where the center armrest is. The armrest bucket can be unfastened inside the trunk iirc. I have seen you guys talking about 4th orders and seen some pretty sweet designs drawn up here as well. I would like to try one 10" sub, my RFR3110 after I re cone it again lol. So look at this pass through, it has plenty of area, its 8' wide by 16"tall. That's plenty of space for area I would think on a 10" 4th order, but I am a noob to 4th orders so this may be a stupid question. here are a couple pics for reference, the whole center armrest removes via the bucket.
IMG_20220616_181840955.jpg
IMG_20220616_181847917.jpg

A 4th order is nice and they can get loud HOWEVER... they have a drawback. You won't be able to tell if your sub is in trouble very easily as the nature of the box is to pass only the tuned band (tuned frequencies) of the enclosure. This makes it hard to hear distortions. Bottom line, it's easy to blow subs if you aren't careful. Worth it if you get it tuned and powered right.

A 4th order is nice and they can get loud HOWEVER... they have a drawback. You won't be able to tell if your sub is in trouble very easily as the nature of the box is to pass only the tuned band (tuned frequencies) of the enclosure. This makes it hard to hear distortions. Bottom line, it's easy to blow subs if you aren't careful. Worth it if you get it tuned and powered right.
Right on man, I knew there had to be some drawbacks.

Would not be the first time this is done. It's actually rather common.

4th orders are fine if your speaker has the right ts parameters. But your speaker doesn't have any ts parameters since it's going to be reconed. Thus they would need to be measured.

The sub will work in a 4th order either way but those parameters decide how the box needs to be built.

As far as being able to smell the burning coils, invert the sub to where the motor is in the ported side and the cone to the sealed and that is problem solved.

Granted if you set your equipment up correctly it was never a problem in the first place.

Bandpass in general require alot of math, and testing to be really good. As stated, it's easy to blow speakers in a bandpass enclosure so keep a very close eye on your power and signal quality.

Bandpass are great, but unless you have the time and patience to build at least 2 enclosures, it can be a waste of space.

Matt

Well its a new car so I have mistaken a few things lol. The back seats do not fold down, so all I have is the armrest pass through. The good things are there are no speakers in the rear deck, all my mids and highs are in the doors and they are not stock they are a Memphis component set. So I am going to almost be forced to get the basssss through the pass through. A 4th order with a snout would be the best way correct? From my research and listening experience all the goodness comes from the port correct? The rear trunk already has Mercedes version of sound deadening and most of the trunk looks very well sealed. I know its not as good as dynomat but its a decent start. The sub I have is being built back with a factory spec voice coil and as good or better soft parts, most specs should stay the same as the motor structure is the same along with coil parameters. I would think it would at least stay close, but I am a novice so I could be way off. Thought's?

Well its a new car so I have mistaken a few things lol. The back seats do not fold down, so all I have is the armrest pass through. The good things are there are no speakers in the rear deck, all my mids and highs are in the doors and they are not stock they are a Memphis component set. So I am going to almost be forced to get the basssss through the pass through. A 4th order with a snout would be the best way correct? From my research and listening experience all the goodness comes from the port correct? The rear trunk already has Mercedes version of sound deadening and most of the trunk looks very well sealed. I know its not as good as dynomat but its a decent start. The sub I have is being built back with a factory spec voice coil and as good or better soft parts, most specs should stay the same as the motor structure is the same along with coil parameters. I would think it would at least stay close, but I am a novice so I could be way off. Thought's?

Putting a sealed enclosure in your trunk will still make bass. If you want to get really funky, you can turn your entire trunk into a psuedo 4th or 6th order enclosure similar to an infinite baffle setup. Build a sealed enclosure, put it in your trunk, open the arm rest thingy, and do an RTA measurement. You can add a port to the pass-through, and your trunk will act as a huge ass bandpass enclosure to an extent.

It would take some messing around and some measurements, but you could get decent results and save some space.

Matt

Putting a sealed enclosure in your trunk will still make bass. If you want to get really funky, you can turn your entire trunk into a psuedo 4th or 6th order enclosure similar to an infinite baffle setup. Build a sealed enclosure, put it in your trunk, open the arm rest thingy, and do an RTA measurement. You can add a port to the pass-through, and your trunk will act as a huge ass bandpass enclosure to an extent.

It would take some messing around and some measurements, but you could get decent results and save some space.

Matt
Bro, thats a great idea! This sub plays best in a 1 - 1.25cf sealed enclosure. That would leave me quiet a bit of room as its a big trunk.

Bro, thats a great idea! This sub plays best in a 1 - 1.25cf sealed enclosure. That would leave me quiet a bit of room as its a big trunk.

The key is to play around with it. You can make a false back to "seal off" the area behind the seats where the sub is from the rest of the trunk. It will be leaky, but it would give you more control over the "ported" volume for the armrest vent.

Matt

You know what, I'm going to do this the right way this time. I am going to focus on getting the best mids and highs I can buy with an amp to push them. Get the sound as perfect as I can, then do the subwoofer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Grimmjoww

CarAudio.com Veteran
Grimmjoww
Tennessee
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views