How to Get good imagaing and soundstage with this

Participant count
  • Participant list

soundnoob
10+ year member

Hey well i'm hoping someone can answer my question about getting a decent soundstage and imaging i'v tried searching and searching but nobody i can find has had this setup and asked the question i'm basically looking for idea's and thoughts so here it goes

i'm looking to put a stereo in a big truck a peterbilt its a company vehicle so i can't modify door panels and such //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif now the front speakers are mounted bout a foot above my head when i'm sitting they also face each other no angles just straight so there isn't any stage the sound just comes from above doesn't fill the truck or anything just stays up there.

So the idea's i'v come up with.....if i mount the tweeters in the top corners of the window angled down to the floor between the seats and if i made some speaker brackets for the mids/midbass that had say a 45-70 degree angle aimed about the same spot as the tweeters do you guys think that would have almost the same effect as having everything in the kick panels or doors aimed at the dome light?

The second idea i had was to have everything like the first idea and add a bit1 or a 3sixty.3(when it comes out) and setup a center channel using some coaxles make a custom box for in front of the gear shift and have that aimed up about 45 degrees and see if that would pull the sound down and fill the truck with sound?

Third and last idea pick up some 4" mids make custom pods for mids and tweet together put them in the window either top corners or the bottom by the dash and build some boxes for the midbass and put them behind each of the seats??

I know sound is all up to the listener this is my first big install want to do it right the first time i'm just looking for ideas on what you guys think would sound best to give me a place to start my trial and error if anybody wants pictures of the truck to get ideas just let me know thanks

I've worked on a sound system in a Volvo tractor so I have somewhat of an idea of what you have to work with. You've left out some details but I'm assuming with your first option you want to use a 2-way component set. Were you going to use the stock speaker locations or disconnect them? I don't understand where you were thinking of mounting the mids. Also, I can't imagine how you could do custom mid-woofer angling while preserving good midbass if you're not allowed to modify the interior.

My thought on using a bitone in that vehicle is it's not a good idea. It's meant for a standard cabin layout with front, rear, subwoofer, and a single center channel speaker. Who knows how effective it would be. Plus I don't think you really need to try to pull the soundstage down by mounting speakers below waist height. Part of the battle for a good sound stage is trying to figure out how to raise the stage height.

Lastly, remember K.I.S.S.

ya sorry in my first idea i'd be using just 2way component set the 6.5's would be in the stock speaker locations i was looking at doing the custom angling with some wood spacers using the original screw holes and mounting the speaker on that when i say modifying i can't cut up the interior but i can add to whats already there and when it comes time to sell the truck take it out and it looks the same, like once the wires run that can stay in there i'll just want my speakers back.

View attachment 26524137

here is a quick picture i took to try and explain what i ment by tweeter mid placement

the yellow circle is idea one with the the 2way make a custom pod stuck to the interior with some strong 2 sided tape, aimed down at the floor a little behind the seats

the red circle is idea one with the tweeters down by the dash aimed more at me

the purple square would be a custom pod for the mid's and tweets aimed the same way down to the floor

and trying to pull the stage down using a center channel that feeling people get with the sound at there waist i get a foot above my head lol the truck fills with sound it just sounds high, the other reason i was looking at a processor is for time alinement cause the truck is so wide iv got speakers a foot away from me on my left an 5ft away from me on the right

Every vehicle is different as in glass reflextion-stage height-aiming-placement.

the best thing to do is take some velcro & do a good listening to what sounds good to your ears,

Ya looks like i'm gonna have to get some velcro and start sticking tweeters everywhere trying it out and see what sounds best and thee deck i already picked up a mvh-p8200 for a good deal so no t/a so a processor will have to do i can't see one not working

I'll do a build log with lots of pictures so you guys can see what i come up with... so far for equipment iv got

MVH-P8200BT

Hertz ESK165 (might pick up the EM100 4" to make a 3 way)(prob gonna change these in a year to the HSK)

ED NINE.5 (just waiting for it to come in)

and for subs i'm just waiting on the BM MKIV to come out and pick up 2 of those

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

soundnoob

10+ year member
soundnoob
Moncton NB
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from