How do you guys charge your LTO banks?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mat3833
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
florida
Title says it all. My bank(6s 80 AH yinlong) is resting at 13.1-13.2. I'm a little concerned since my old alt was only charging at 13.3 and my new one is charging at 14.3 on the bench that I may have a bit of an issue with the bank wanting all of the power.

On the test bench my alt (one wire setup) was putting out 270a before the belt slipped at a "crank speed" of 850rpm. My car idles at about 950rpm.

Is this something I actually need to worry about or am I over thinking this?

Matt

Not going to hurt the cells but you might consider externally regulating that alternator to charge up to 14.8, as you saw from those discharge curves most of the reserve is happening between 14.8 and 14.0 or thereabouts.

Not going to hurt the cells but you might consider externally regulating that alternator to charge up to 14.8, as you saw from those discharge curves most of the reserve is happening between 14.8 and 14.0 or thereabouts.

I opted for the 14.3v internal Regulator for now while I decide on if/how I'm going to deal with the ECU Regulator. I've been running low 13's with no real issues, and I have a 14.8v internal Regulator ready to go when I get around to dealing with the ECU.

I was more worried about slipping the belt and or potentially stalling the engine since this is a one-wire alt on a 4cyl with a manual transmission, lol.

Matt

Got everything installed and running. It's definitely dragging my idle down a bit, I may bump my idle speed up a few hundred Rpm until the voltage stabilizes. After I got everything buttoned up and ready to start the bank was at 12.9v. Started fine, and idle voltage started at 13.3v. It was creeping up a tenth every minute or so, but I only ran the car for about 5 minutes. Resting voltage on thd bank is 13.2v now.

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...