Hertz MLK165 Not loud enough?

ExlipseHertzMLK
10+ year member

Montreal
Hi all!! I will display my current settings and would like to get some advice on what to do!

I got my self some Hertz MLK 165 as front speakers running on "diesel ns-900" 4x110@2ohm what this probably means is something like half of that. I got kappa 6x9 as back fillers. Two pioneer 12" Loud as hell, I dont know how many rms cuz i got em from a buddy. Front deck is Pioneer.

My problem is that my subs eat up my front system. Goal is to be able to play subs loud and be able to hear the music well. I am aware that my amp is part of the problem. I got my self a JL 300/4 which I will bridge to 2x150 rms at 12.1v so basically true rms ratting.

My dilemma, Will the JL 300/4 solve the problem or another solution would be to hook up my Bostons z60's to the front which are laying in my garage. "Bostons would be powered by Kicker IX1302 "130x2 True RMS"

Concerns: My local shop told me that hooking up 2pair of comps would kill my sound staging. Is there a way to set em up to make it into a decent sounding system? or ?? money is no problem!

Desperately in need of advice, or other solutions!!

Thanks in advance!

The Hertz MLK's can get very loud and sound good doing it if given the correct amount of power. If that amp does 110x4@2 then it prob does around 60-70x4@4ohm assuming its a quality amp (i have never heard of the brand). Give the hertz a good 125-150 per side and then you will unleash there goodness.. The bostons u listed are very nice also but not as nice as the mlk's

Alrighty, so the JL should do the trick! Now scenario #2 what happens if my subs still ride on top of my front comps. Would two pair of components be a complete disaster to the ear? Or there are ways to make the sound half decent? My goal is not to recreate a symphony in my car, only rnb, reggae stuff like that...

The MLK's can be quite loud given proper power and installation.

Hand them 150rms or so per side and they'll start shining. If it's still not enough, then you may want to consider multiple pairs. Many people prefer a single pair for imaging reasons. Though for the average guy, it's not crucial or utilized properly anyways.

Or...just turn the subs down! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Alright guys, appreciate your answers! Now got a better idea on my next steps! Can't wait to take my car out of storage to test it out once the snow melts!!

The 6x9s for fill are doing the same thing the guys at the audio shop warned about. If the sound doesn't bother you, another set of comps aren't going to ruin the sound stage either. Millies are only 92 db sensitivity, they need a little power to wake them up. They can handle 300 rms daily, though rated at 150 rms. I am running a set at 150 rms over an ssa xcon 18 at about 2k rms and they are fine.

need more power like mentioned to the mlk's. I have two 15's sharing 1500 rms and i have 400 watts(200 a side) going to the mlk's and they keep up perfectly. They are power hungry components but if you give them the power they need they will get very loud and sound amazing.

92 dB sensitivity is rather on the high side, meaning they are more sensitive to power than most cheaper speakers. As mentioned several times you need to give your Hertz speakers more power to get satisfactory output. Fix that and your worries about the subs overpower the front stage should go to the back of your mind.

I am aware that my amp is part of the problem. I got my self a JL 300/4 which I will bridge to 2x150 rms at 12.1v so basically true rms ratting.
Diesel Audio is flea market crap. Get a real amp on them and they will be louder.
Think he is trying to fix that. But I wish you would quit beating around the bush and tell him like it is. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

t-money, What amp are you running your MLK's on?? After second taught I think ill keep my JL 300/4 as a back up and get me some high end/power, or maybe hook the jl to my boston's z6's...

I was doing a little research, based on reviews and power ratings and ended up with these: JL HD600/4 (150x4"12.5v)

PDX-F6 ALPINE 4 CH (150x4"14.4v).. Also read this article on top high end amps to consider they mentioned this one Boston Acoustics GT-4100(85 rms-x4) but power ratting dose not really stand out? Is there more to an amp then just looking at the power ratings? Other one was Rockford Fosgate Power T1000-4 150Wx4 (at 14.4) This one is about 800$ On ebay, but does it out play the ones I mentioned above?

If wondering about 4chan amp, I will put 2 channels to the mid's, bi amp the 3rd channel to tweets and 4th to the back! Then if this fails will take out the Z6's for reinforcement!!

Any taught's about these amps or some others out there better for this situation?

If wondering about 4chan amp, I will put 2 channels to the mid's, bi amp the 3rd channel to tweets and 4th to the back! Then if this fails will take out the Z6's for reinforcement!!
That's not how bi-amping works. You would bridge the front channels for either the woofers or the tweeters, and bridge the rear channels for the other speakers. You're going to need an active crossover to do this. The rear speakers would need another amp unless you got a 6 channel amp.

For that kind of money you may want to look into zapco, audison, arc, rainbow, diamond, mccintosh, mmats and so on.

first of all dont use two different comp systems it wont sounds good

you have to give mlk system much more power cca 250 rms

under notice that you have door panels and very good damping panels must have about 10 litres in enclosure that way they will sound great

my opinion is that they would be better in activ setting

sorry if l spell something wrong ,dont write english very good

Installed PDX-F6 on my MLK's running them on two channels, which is 300 Rms!! The sound is just amazing, loud az hell!! Thanks for the help ya all! Now I am building custom kick pannels for 6.5 mids! Once everything is set up I will write I will post!!

Oh yeah my orriginal JL arrived broken 3ch out of 4 were working so I returned them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.