Help needed with enclosure design

Participant count
  • Participant list

sweety
10+ year member

Hi all:) I'm about to build my first box as the box I bought i've found out is a bit to small at 28L. The sub I've got is a JBL GT3-12 which i've found on the net should have either a 40L sealed or 50L ported but thought I would ask you guy's the spec's for the sub are as follows

JBL GT3-12 12"

RMS Power Handling:225W

Peak Power:1800W

Voice-Coil Diameter:50mm

Mounting Depth:155mm

Qes:0.6

Qms:5.53

Qts:0.54

Vas:100.45 ltr

Fs:28Hz

Pe:225watt rms

Frequency Response:35Hz - 3kHz

Sensitivity:89dB

Impedance:4 Ohms

At the minute I have a wedge shaped box which fits perfectly against the back seat so would like the new box to be of the same shape. The room I have for the box to take up is 41" wide, 16.5" high & 12-13.3" depth can put up the size of the box I have at the minute if it helps:rolleyes: Ideally I would like a ported box if it's possible but have know idea on size of port(s) to use. I listen mainly to dance music & rock if that helps.

I would be most grateful with any help & possible design with measurement if you can

Many thank

Just had play with an online enclosure calculator & have worked out a enclosure measuring 30" wide, 14" high, 12" deep at the bottom & 8.5" at the top will give me a volume of 1.804ft3 or 51.082litres but this is not including the displacement of the sub or port which I didn't add as unsure how to work it out. Does this sound about the right size box I need ? Still have no idea on what size/length of port that would be needed:confused:

With that size box the port is going to be long, so you will loose even more volume for the port

Its going to be close, not impossible but I think do-able

Thanks for the input guy's, had a chat with a lad on this side of the pond & he thinks for the set up i've got that a sealed box would probably would be the best option for my sub but said build a 50L box & see how that sounds then poss partly fill the box with polystyrene & see how that sounds:confused:wondering if I should go for a 40L box & if needed fibre fill it:confused:

Well after a bit more thought & playing about with these online calculators I've come up with a box size of about 50L as mentioned above & from what I can gather a port 2.5" x 4.75" should tune the box to 34Hz:rolleyes: As I listen to mainly dance music would the be about the right frequency to tune the box to ? & would it be possible to fit 2 ports 1 either end of the box on the top & just 1/2 the length of them

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.