Help a newb with going active...

dirtboy25
10+ year member

Kansas
I'm currently not but i'm prepared to. I'm searching for some reading material before I start asking questions so, post up your favorite/most helpful threads/links for me to dissect.

My main question is,... Do I need a dedicated external crossovers or will the functions from the 80prs be sufficient? (line outs from HU directly to amp, then amp to speakers, nothing in between.)

Also,... to bring the sound stage up and out I plan on building pods to house the tweeters with a 2-3" midrange directly below it, just outside the A-pillars. It will be built onto the factory panel that covers the bolts for the mirrors. Therefore it will then have a 3-way setup with the 6.5's in the factory location.

As far as the 80prs goes, i'm currently in standard mode. With network mode I had some volume issues that quickly became complicated. Out of a max volume of 62 I had to turn it up to ~50 to achieve normal listening volume.

I'll try my best not to bug you all with everyday questions but any and all help will be much appreciated.

What would you recommend? Should I run a crossover on one set of mids and use the HU on the other set? Or would it be wise (with my plans) to run the 3" mids with the 6.5's, basically have them tied together through the AQ120.4.

That would be ideal. Would I be able to achieve the sound stage I'm looking for with the mids in the factory location? To be honest I'm not at all impressed with the sound stage which is why I wanted to install mids in the pillar to help bring the sound up off the floor.

With the passive setup I currently have I've struggled rising the sound along with pushing the sound outside the vehicle.

That would be ideal. Would I be able to achieve the sound stage I'm looking for with the mids in the factory location? To be honest I'm not at all impressed with the sound stage which is why I wanted to install mids in the pillar to help bring the sound up off the floor.
With the passive setup I currently have I've struggled rising the sound along with pushing the sound outside the vehicle.
With the tweets up higher you will be fine...

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

yea why not..lol not a sq build just need somethin over stock bose
Just different... Should be loud as hell

With the tweets up higher you will be fine... 

Higher as in...? My tweeters are roughly shoulder height. They could use some better aiming which would help. They are not permanently placed either, velcro has been in use until I build pods witch I have been waiting to make a decision whether or not to add mids into it.

When you go active, the biggest benefit (to me) is the time alignment. Properly setup, it's going to pull your stage up.

I'm just 2-way + sub right now. Woofers low in the doors and tweeters in the sails. You can't even tell where the woofers are. Everything is up on the dash.

We interpret height only after a certain frequency. 2.5khz or so, iirc. So having your tweeters (or whatever driver is playing that high) up high, or at least on axis, is key.

When you go active, the biggest benefit (to me) is the time alignment. Properly setup, it's going to pull your stage up.
That's why I bought the 80prs... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I'll go ahead and do an active 2 way and see where that puts me. Once I can use the 80prs in network mode I'll have a lot more I can play with.

As far as getting away from the passive crossovers, how will I power the tweets? Will I need to buy a separate amp or can I use the internal amp on the HU somehow?

I would only assume that if I use the same amp as my mids I wouldn't be able to separate them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.