Good Sub for Rock and Roll

JayhawkB
10+ year member

KC
I am looking to get some subs for my Malibu and I am going to hook them to an old school Punch 150 that still works great. I am looking for a sub that would be really good for someone that listens for mostly rock music? I am thinking of two tens but I am not sure which brand would be good. Any help would be great.

Thanks

J

You really won't find any certain subwoofers that work best for certain types of music. It's all in the type of enclosure they go in. I have a single Digital Designs 3512 in 3cf enclosure tuned to 38hz and it's amazing on all kind's of music.

8s are the best for rock but i cant help you to much because i dont know the power rating of that amp
You didn't really just say that did you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Any size sub can work on rock music and sound good....

Wow Thanks for the replies...

My budget would be about $400 max for sub/subs and box. Plus below is what I already have.

400W - 500W

8s are the best bc there is less cone area and it can respond to the quick beats alot faster then lets say a 15 or 18
You sound stupid. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You really won't find any certain subwoofers that work best for certain types of music. It's all in the type of enclosure they go in. I have a single Digital Designs 3512 in 3cf enclosure tuned to 38hz and it's amazing on all kind's of music.
Any other information other then do not make comments about 8 inch woofers. :) Just looking for some help. If the kind of woofer is not important when what do I need to look for? If there are any guides for noob I can read just point me in that direction. I know there is no perfect sub but I just need some help on what to look for.

Thanks again

Credence still makes the "original" style solobaric subwoofers. I had excellent results with the 12" solobaric and a punch 150 bridged to it. IIRC, my old school, pre-HD, punch 150 birthed at 430 watts RMS into a 4 ohm load. Then again, I sold that amp and sub 9 years ago, and to my surprise, they still work.

Oh yeah, the subs in question: http://www.credencespeakers.com/Series%20Pages/Small_Sealed_Box_Series.htm

ETA: Another sub I would highly recommend looking into would be the Digital Designs DD510 or DD512, depending on your preferences. IMHO, those subwoofers can be made to sound GREAT in the right enclosure!

Also, have you looked into changing out the electrolytic capacitors in your Punch 150? If not, now may be a good time to do so to ensure that they don't pop on you, taking out a row of FETs in the process.

8s are the best bc there is less cone area and it can respond to the quick beats alot faster then lets say a 15 or 18

You've got a lot to learn about audio, son. An 18" can have the same tight response and attack on a quick beat as any 8", in general. The 8" can have the same deep low frequency response as any 18", in general. The differences will only be in sheer output, again in general. There are exceptions to this, but they're few and far between. It's all in the design and the execution of said design. People forget too much of the time that the design MUST match the goals to achieve the desired outcome. There's so much more detail to it that I could go on for quite some time, although I really don't need to, go read the threads that were written fully explaining the designs and uses of Sealed, Ported, and Bandpass (I think he wrote that one) enclosures. Might help you understand the hows and whys of enclosure design and using those designs to match your goals.

Here's the link to that thread...

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446197

To the OP, start by giving your budget, space you have to work with, other info of this nature so we can do better to suggest a subwoofer(s) for you....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.