Folks I have a question on Amp wattage

Madxman21

So cal
Hey folks,

I have a 1100 watt Boss amp (don't laugh, it kicks ***) wired to a 10 inch shallow pioneer 1200 watt subwoofer.

I'm curious, if I update my amp to a 2000 watt amp will my subwoofer sound better? Do I have to change my cables to handle the upgrade in watts?

The boss amp is realistically a 200 watt amp. If that.... 2000 watt amp? Depends on the amp. If it's an actual 2000 watt amp. Yes, depending on the wiring you already have.... No

Hey folks,
I have a 1100 watt Boss amp (don't laugh, it kicks ***) wired to a 10 inch shallow pioneer 1200 watt subwoofer.

I'm curious, if I update my amp to a 2000 watt amp will my subwoofer sound better? Do I have to change my cables to handle the upgrade in watts?
yeah we saw 1 boss 2k (i think it was) test at like 160rms.. what size wire do u have? u should always start with at least 4 ga if u have 4 or even 8 ga u can easily run a real 500rms, shame u not here i have practiclly new autotek 1600 does like 450 selling for $50.. look at precison power ion650 it's been tested to do 585rms (i think at 2ohms) what ohm is your sub? and do u have to stay with shallow mount?, cause my pioneer 3003 is a nice sub for $85 pretty loud..

Hey folks,

So you already know that Boss is junk...but run it anyway, Sounds like you want more. My advice: remove that stupid Boss amp and Pioneer sub and lets find something better brandwise. What vehicle are we talking about here? The big 3 is a must when adding anything audio.

Hey folks,

1100 watt heat rating or 1100 watts rms? 1st of all? An I'm guessing that sub is Abt 200-300 rms given its shallow an it's pioneer. Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hey folks,

so, the formula to determine wattage is voltage times amperage equals wattage. The fuse thats in your amp times the voltage from your car (12.4 or 14.4 when running typically) will give you the wattage its putting out. So, a single 20 amp fuse will yield a maximum of 248 or 288 watts on 12.4 or 14.4 respectively, and 2 40 amp fuses will yield a max of 496 and 576 with the same respective voltage. Now, if you want to go to a true 2000 watts, the difference youll see would be monumental.

To go to an actual 2000 watts going on in your vehicle, there are some serious electrical upgrades youll need to do. If you reverse engineer the mathematics given for the wattage, then youll see the amperage draw that the charging system will have to keep up with. For example, my sub amp is capable of 2200 watts, so take that number and divide it by either voltage of just the battery or running (12.4 or 14.4 again) and youll get 177 and 152. Most stock alternators cant put that amount of excess power out, nor can 4 gauge ofc wiring keep up with that kind of power demand properly.

Long story short here is that youre likely going to need a new high output alternator, 0 gauge power and ground and complete “the big 3” power upgrade. The big 3 is running upgraded power leads from the alternator to the battery, upgraded grounds from the battery to the chassis and adding a ground of the same gauge from the engine block to the chassis if you plan on a real 2000 watts

Hey folks,

this is how much your boss 1100 watt amp actually does. Still thinks it kicks @ss? It doesnt take much power to produce bass. Whatever you think sounds good now will sound way better with an amp that does actual power.

The boss amp is realistically a 200 watt amp. If that.... 2000 watt amp? Depends on the amp. If it's an actual 2000 watt amp. Yes, depending on the wiring you already have.... No
not even 200. you guys are way too damn generous lol.

this is how much your boss 1100 watt amp actually does. Still thinks it kicks @ss? It doesnt take much power to produce bass. Whatever you think sounds good now will sound way better with an amp that does actual power.

not even 200. you guys are way too damn generous lol.
imagine how much @ss he will think is being kicked with the CAB 1600 or the SQ1200

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.