First Time Buying A Receiver, Advice?

TMF89

Hey guys, I'm getting a new vehicle soon, a truck of some sort, probably an 00-04 F-150, Silverado 1500, or something similar. The stereos leave something to be desired, and I have enough technology that I'd like to upgrade it. As far as I know I have a Double DIN right? So I could get a double DIN receiver, or get one of those adapters that turns the space below into a storage area, right?

As far as receivers, I'd like to spend under $150, I'd like it to have USB and 3.5, and Blue Tooth would be a plus, not it's not entirely necessary. After this I plan on upgrading the speakers, and an amp, and eventually a sub. However with space being an issue, I might take the sub and amp out from time to time, so the speakers would have to still sound decent with just the power from the receiver. That's all I can think of for now, I really don't know anything about car audio, so I'll let you guys brainstorm and hopefully I can learn what I need to know! Thanks guys, look forward to being a member here.

in your price range, you're looking at an entry level Single-DIN radio. buy from Crutchfield.com so you get the mounting kit, wire harness, and install instructions (and a warranty). this is very helpful for a first-timer. Alpine, JVC, Kenwood are all good entry level head units. Just browse on Crutchfield and compare features.

if you get a 2001+ GM/Chevy you'll also need a GMOS adapter which runs about $100. GM introduced a Class II Data Bus into their factory radios which requires the expensive adatper when swapping the radio. that shouldn't factor into your vehicle purchase, but FYI.

Sounds good. Now I plan on upgrading the stock speakers and adding an amp and woofer at some point. Those won't be anything fancy either, but my biggest thing with the build is upgradeability. So as far as I can tell I'd want a receiver with 4 channels, one for each speaker, and either one 4 channel amp or two 2 channels? However I keep seeing that I should try and get a receiver with a dedicated subwoofer channel, would that be a 5 channel output or am I missing something? Seems like I am, so please enlighten me lol.

I went shopping for you! But no, this one my interest you. It's JVC KW-XR610 (from Crutchfield). It's a double din unit and it's got great reviews. Seems to have everything you were looking for (bluetooth is optional/additional) but is $179 with free s/h and free install gear. And put in code

3A825 and will discount it $20.

Interesting. I do like the look of it, but I'm a little confused about the outputs. It has two sets of them, one for front and one for rear/subwoofer. So will I have to choose to amp either my sub or my rear speakers?

in your price range, you're looking at an entry level Single-DIN radio. buy from Crutchfield.com so you get the mounting kit, wire harness, and install instructions (and a warranty). this is very helpful for a first-timer. Alpine, JVC, Kenwood are all good entry level head units. Just browse on Crutchfield and compare features.
if you get a 2001+ GM/Chevy you'll also need a GMOS adapter which runs about $100. GM introduced a Class II Data Bus into their factory radios which requires the expensive adatper when swapping the radio. that shouldn't factor into your vehicle purchase, but FYI.
FVCK GM I don't usually swear, but they just did that for profit Aholes didn't need to do that. I refuse to ever buy one of those overpriced POS adapters. Hence I have no more headlight/key in ignition chime and have since killed my batt twice and locked myself out twice....can't win. Still refuse to pay 115 bucks for that crap though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.