Fiberglass / 10 Cubic Feet / Sabel Taurus / In Trunk

i would do at least 5-7 layers, bl 18's are pretty beefy subs. I asked alot of questions Before i bought the subs and i actually knew i had the room. I am running them with 20 cubes and 200+ square inches of port with 2 sundown 1500ds strapped. They pick up the lows perfect and is still super loud. Good luck getting the space for them in a trunk

First off you havent even really given any good information so how is anyone supposed to help you.... you havent given any dimensions what so ever or even basic info on your goals, music type etc so how is anyone supposed to help you??

What is your max height, width and depth

What tuning are you going for

Do you want to port through the rear deck or forward behind the rear seats

As for fiberglass, Ive done full fiberglass boxes and 7-10 layers of 1.5oz mat is good. For the last 2 I tried 24oz Roven mat, and you can build that stuff crazy thick in 3-4 layers and its strong as all hell. Be prepared to spend $200 in fiberglass materials alone

When I measured my Taurus trunk the max dimensions are like 37" wide, 19 inches tall and not sure about the depth because the rear deck will get in the way, I'm guessing something like 35 inches or more if you make the box shorter.

When I measured my Taurus trunk the max dimensions are like 37" wide, 19 inches tall and not sure about the depth because the rear deck will get in the way, I'm guessing something like 35 inches or more if you make the box shorter.
thats a small trunk. i know my camrys got atleast 40" width can go wider in most spots too.

Yeah I have a Taurus too. Older one though. only have about 34" wide //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

oh and to the op, your never gonna fit even 1 18" in a taurus. trunk. walling or custom fab of the rear deck is the only way it will be possible. walling is pretty much your only option for 2 18's.

Its not ALWAYS about how thick fiberglass is, As far as strength goes. If you do a poor job on your lay-up, It could be an inch thick, And still be brittle as hell.

With that said: You mention taking up EVERYBIT of space in your trunk, Yet you dont wanna pull the seats down. So im assuming you will be rear firing the subs.. You do realize you WILL need ATLEAST PORT WIDTH INFRONT, ONTOP, And on the sides of your box, To allow the sound waves to pass to the front of the car, Correct?

You've got a few option's..

Bite the bullet, And wall it,

Run 1 18" sub in a PROPER airspace,

Or sell your 18's, And find something more suitable for the space you have to work with.

I had 2 15" L7's in a 98 Taurus, I don't know if the trunks on the 02 model are much different but my box was just mdf build inside the trunk and it was about 7 cubes plus port so I think that you could get enough space if you used fiberglass and used the spare tire well. Maybe you wouldn't be able to give them optimal airspace but I think it would work. Good Luck!!

This is stupid. supposse he double baffles the rear deck wall in the inside if the cab. mounts the subs from the inside.-- get some woofergrills..

Then Put 2 ports. Elbow on the rear deck then extend into the trunk towards the back. From there, Lay down your deadener on the trunk floor. every inch. and work it up to the fenders and trunklid. Get in every corner and after you do this you start the glassing process. DUDE, you wont get the max airspace required but it should be the min at least so make sure you have Lots of power and beef up that alternator. See if you can't drop a second or third battery under the hood. and mount the amp under the seat? or on the top of tha box.? M

Taurus has 38" wide at seats, 48" at opening. Height at seatbacks is 14", height at trunk lid is 22". depth on floor is 36" depth near tallest point is 22".

I got 6.5 cubes ould of MDF, if you use the tire well AND the rear qarter panels, you could get about 12-13 cubes GROSS. then like everyone said, port through rear deck. if you take the trunk liner out and do some minort cutting of pieces you can get an extra cube or two while still retaining a factory look.

This CAN be done, but in all honesty, if you have to make this thread, you dont have the imagination to pull this off. But i do wish you luck, it will be difficult.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.