Fadaday Cages?

Participant count
  • Participant list

YoungBloodM50
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Colorado
Anybody using these.

I was talking to another guy on another thread about it and it sounded really interesting. I'm curious if any of you audiophiles have tried this on your home theater system.

What brought the subject up was the fact that the DVR's we use at our cable company have little to no shielding against electromagnetic fields that TV's put off. So this guy suggested building a faraday cage around the components.

If you have done this have any of you got pictures or plans. I would like to take a stab at it but don't really know where to start. I did a little research on it but not a whole lot yet. Just wanted to see what others have done.

Thanks.

A properly-built piece of equipment will need no additional shielding at home, unless you live in the shadow of a 100kW TV transmitter. Even then, any input/outputs to it will be just as susceptible to inductive noise, common mode noise, etc...

No crt. DLP 50".

The cable boxes that our cable company carries made by PACE has no shielding other than the boxes cover. The other cables boxes that we used to carry made by Motorola had some shielding.

It's all speculation that the tv is putting off electromagnetic rays strong enough to actually cause problems. But when all the cable in someone's house is brand new and the outside has been checked over several times, and nothing else appears to be the problem, I like to think outside the box. I have heard that having your power and av cables crossed can cause problems (such as picture quality will suffer). Aside from speculation though, it's hard to pin something down that is definitive.

And yes I meant Faraday. Thanks for the correction.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

YoungBloodM50

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
YoungBloodM50
Colorado
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date