ExpoSport's (Torres) GUI-based Box Tuning Calculator

because the port needs to bend, so the 'physical' length just needs to be shorter but if you measure down the middle of the port you'll notice it's the same length

So if you have a bend in the port then where does the physical port length number come from?

ok i make my port length 16" and heres what i get

if i make my port 17" then i get this

why does the physical port length get smaller when i make the port length longer and need a bend?

Last edited by a moderator:
physical port length is the length of the wood. in the first one, the port does not need to bend so therefore it's the full length. in the second one, it has to bend, so it doesnt need to physically be as long as you have entered in the box. somewhat similar to this:

Port.jpg

caption should explain it. but the physical port there is 10" long, while you're getting a longer actual port length (the small purple length is end correction of the port)

That still doesnt make sense to me. So if i need a bend in the port, then my piece of wood needs to be smaller than if i didnt have a bend?

I think what he is getting at (if I understand correctly) is that the physical port length and what the woofer actually thinks the port is are two different things and he is accounting for the little extra length you "theoretically" get in certain situations............... Right?

that is exactly right. if you look at the diagram i posted, the physical length is 10", yet the *actual* length is longer (measured down the middle). if you made that box say twice the size with the port staying the same, then the curve in the box would not technically extend the port length since it's much further away. it'd be just 10" (minus end correction). you wouldnt have that purple and brown length measurement added into the port length. so the port length is the same, just the material needed to make the port is different.

I made my own tiny program in excel but this absolutely blows it out of the water. I found it relatively easy to use once I started seeing how the output numbers changed as I messed with the other variables.

This should be a sticky. Or at least included in a sticky for ported box calculators.

thanks!! appreciate the kind words. soon, hopefully really soon, i'm going to have metric worked into it for people across the pond. plus a new thing or two, more so just visual things.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ExpoSport

10+ year member
ExpoSport
Cincinnati
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from