Excurision vids...do they mean anything...to power and performance?

Yeah means nothing really.
I watched a guy with a Boss 12in sub that tried to say it was better than alot of the the top of the line subs...cause it had so much excursion. That thing ****ing moved i mean it was almost unbelievable. But it sounded like **** and did not hit that loud...
I knowz. I dont get how you can look at specs of a sub and tell how loud it will be. I would have thought, "Hey, it moves 2x as much as this sub... so it should be moving 2x as much air, which means approx 2x the SPL.... wait, wtf? It scored 3db less on the termlab? What an asscake"

yeah, i dont get it.

False/
xxx = 54 MM of linear excursion, MT - 16 MM of linear excursion, but 30+mm total.

MT > xxx

come on now bro.......
Dont combat a generalization with another generalization. An MT may > a XXX in the SPL lanes for various reasons (and does), but the XXX has the MT beat in raw displacement, which will mean more output 1) in sealed applcations, given proper power, and 2) can mean more output on avg along entire freq spectrum the subwoofers are required to play.

This reminds me of the old test someone from RE did on all their woofers. The SX ended up burping louder than the XXX, next thing you know everyone is saying how much louder the SX was than the much higher displacement XXX. Problem was, the SX was louder at a given freq, due to its peaky nature. Is the MT peaky like this? Ive yet to play with one to know, but being a strong SPL sub, I tend to think its peaky.

No, xmax is not everything, but displacement does account for alot, even in vented systems. Remember, when playing music, the system isn't always playing notes at or near tuning where excursion is minimalized like they do when burping. For music, given adequate power and a full frequency spectrum test (not a one note burp), my money would be on the XXX being louder. Of course, the install would be the wild card deciding factor, as always. Either way, the xxx would remain much more linear than the MT, but that's not what's in question here. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

For future reference KingSham; mention your age and realistic experience in the title of the thread to avoid being called names by a few lifeless D!ckbeaters. If you have a question, your best and least-likely-biased answer will probably come from AudioHolic. You may just want to PM him before you throw sh!t in the fan.

For future reference KingSham; mention your age and realistic experience in the title of the thread to avoid being called names by a few lifeless D!ckbeaters. If you have a question, your best and least-likely-biased answer will probably come from AudioHolic. You may just want to PM him before you throw sh!t in the fan.
Thankyou for the compliment. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.