Edead or Raamat

Thanks. I actually have raamat in my car now and it worked great, but I'm going to install some deadening in a new car so I thought I would ask. The edead just caught my eye because it's 80 mil product is roughly the same price as raamat's 60 mil. What's wrong with the edead, it didn't stick or something?

Thanks. I actually have raamat in my car now and it worked great, but I'm going to install some deadening in a new car so I thought I would ask. The edead just caught my eye because it's 80 mil product is roughly the same price as raamat's 60 mil. What's wrong with the edead, it didn't stick or something?

Keep in mind that thickness plays no part in deadening.

Our 40 mil product Damplifier Lite is 30% thinner than Raammat, and 50% thinner than edead 80, but weighs the same as both and has a foil that is 50% thicker.

80 mils sounds impressive but really, the quality of the adhesive and the strength of the foil is what makes up 80% of the sound damping performance.

Thickness plays no role in vibration control.

Out of the 2 you listed, I would use Raammat BXT.

ANT

I used 100' of fatmat i my trunk doors and floor and I live in FLORIDA only place really hotter is AZ. I have had ZERO issues never moved and worked GREAT..

I have not had a chance to use Second Skin I am thinking about it still for my truck.. But fatmat has worked 100% in 95 to 100+ degree weather.. Hell it has not been below 75 80 unless it rained and my car sits out side in the sun and is black can't get much worse then that.. lol

I used 100' of fatmat i my trunk doors and floor and I live in FLORIDA only place really hotter is AZ. I have had ZERO issues never moved and worked GREAT..
Yet you have no way of knowing how much better a butyl product would have performed had you used one. Asphalt proponents these days seem to think if it sticks, it works. A good butyl mat with a foil constraining layer will put any asphalt mat on the market to shame, if we are discussing actual performance of the product rather than just its ability to stay adhered.

Stay away from asphalt, and eDead.

Thanks everyone. I will most likely go with raamat because I've used it before and have no complaints. Just for more knowledge though , what makes a sound deadener work? Is it the foil, the butyl, or the combination of the two.

There are several types of vibration dampers.

Rammat is sold as a constraint layer damper (CLD)

CLD mats are 2 part systems

Elastomeric adhesive

Foil

The more rubber content (elastomeric) the adhesive is the more vibrations wil be reduced.

The stronger the foil is, the more vibrations will be reduced.

Both parts are required for a cld to work at room temperature.

If however you freez the adhesive to around -40 f. below zero it will get quite stiff and the foil is no longer necessary to act as a constraining layer. This is why liquid dampers are so effective outside the normal temperature range that CLD mats are. They are designed to be just as solid as the negative fourty adhesive is without the foil.

Both have pros and cons though.

Butyl rubber is the most talked about adhesive on cld mats though many are not butyl.

I recently have been formulating (with the help of some senior chemists) some adhesives, and most butyl mats out there have very littl butyl. Most are actually EPDM.

Even the best of the buty mats are loaded with organic filler to keep the inexpensive.

An easy way to tell is to pull the adhesive off of the foil. If it comes off in a stringy type of way, it is loaded with too much filler.

If it snaps back and (kind of) retains its form it has more rubber content (butyl, EPDM or one of the many other substitutes and will do a better job at damper vibrations (provided the foils strength is the same on both products)

So, stronger foil give better sheer force which give better damping.

Higher rubber content helps exaggerate sheer force and less work for the foil to do

Heavier & stiffer products help provide more existential damping.

Hope that makes sense

ANT

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

trabadoor22

10+ year member
trabadoor22
Macedon, NY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from