Double din conversion on 99-02 Silverado?

Participant count
  • Participant list
1) buy an 04+ dash bezel, with the double din opening

2) remove stock headunit and climate controls

3) cut out the bottom part of the plastic cage that fits around the headunit and climate controls (so you can move the climate control unit down)

4)break the guide-pins off of the back of the climate control unit, and bolt the unit through the holes where the pins used to go into (this should lower it just enough to line up with the new dash)

5) build a cage/use radiostraps to put double-din in, it'll require a bit of adjusting to get it straight and centered

6) put the new bezel on

Did it in my 02 avalanche, pretty easy process

forgot i had pics, and forgot a step:

Remove the headunit and climate control unit.

Cut out the dash support to make room for the depth of the headunit:

1.jpg

2.jpg

This is how an 03+ double din bezel lines up stock

3.jpg

Move the climate controls down by breaking off the guide pins, and using bolts to bolt through where the guide pins used to go

5.jpg

In order to be able to move the climate control unit down, you will first need to break out the bottom of the dash cage:

4.jpg

Then figure out a way to securely mount your unit in. I made an MDF cage that fit nicely, and tah dah:

P9150750.jpg

P9230794.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.