do i need to upgrade electrical?

Participant count
  • Participant list

AT@T tech
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
conway,ar
hey my truck has a 110 amp alt. i am going to run just 2 amps one is a old mtx blue thunder 3002 for my subs and a autotek sx2200 dor my door spkrs. the mtx has 3 30 amp fuses on it and the autotek has 1 40 amp fuse. what do you think?

Do big 3, and u should be fine. Cuse the added up power is 130 amps, but thats what it should go over, so chances are daily ur not gonna be using more than say 90-100 amps max. And that's if ur ears are gonna start to bleed.

so i shouldn't need any caps,batteries,or a diff alt.just redo the wiring to bigger guage wiring.cool i will try that then. i haven't put the amps in yet

deep cycle battery under the hood of propper size would be a good idea too. running a couple amps on a regular battery can shorten its life. something like a kinetik 1800 would work

Well ur not running that much power so u can probably get away with running a 2 Gauge. But if u can afford it might as well go all out and just get 1/0 Gauge. If ur talking about the Fuse at the battery (within 12" i think it was) than go with what ur amps have as fuses added up. so either get 120 or 150 amp fuse since they dont make a 130 (I'd go with the 120 to be safe.) Don't forget to do the Big 3 tho. There's a sticky about it in the Wiring and electrical thread/forum area.

Well ur not running that much power so u can probably get away with running a 2 Gauge. But if u can afford it might as well go all out and just get 1/0 Gauge. If ur talking about the Fuse at the battery (within 12" i think it was) than go with what ur amps have as fuses added up. so either get 120 or 150 amp fuse since they dont make a 130 (I'd go with the 120 to be safe.) Don't forget to do the Big 3 tho. There's a sticky about it in the Wiring and electrical thread/forum area.
thanks that is all i need to know

hey one of my friends gave me a bunch of 4 gauge wire. can i run 2 seperate wires from the battery?one to each amp? or will this not be as efficiant as running just one wire from the battery? or does it even matter?

If ur talking about the Fuse at the battery (within 12" i think it was) than go with what ur amps have as fuses added up. so either get 120 or 150 amp fuse since they dont make a 130 (I'd go with the 120 to be safe.)
incorrect. you fuse the wire not the amps. therefore 1/0 would be fine with a 250 or 300a fuse.

do you mean run two seperate wires from the batt? you could but that would be a waste, just run 1/0 back to fused distro block and run 4 gauge to your amps.
the only reason i say this is because my friend gave me about 30 ft of stinger wire brand new.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.