Divided?

SteelKiller
10+ year member

Portland
So...... I have 1.25ft3 per woofer under the back seat, with a riser. I am thinking 4 of the square 10's just because it will make the install cleaner with the lines and all. Bottom of the enclosure is going to be fiberglass, the rest is MDF. Would you do 4 separate sealed enclosures or maybe 2 with 2 woofers per enclosure? I am sure with the cone area it will be plenty loud for my 40 year old ears, what about right and crisp? How low can I expect it to play with

Square 10s, right, crisp and low. Gotcha...

No need to bash what I am doing, I asked a simple question. I know audio brands are like car brands, everyone will stand up for their favorite and bash all the others. What if I just said 10's in small sealed space, would I have gotten the same sarcastic response? I guess thanks for your input.

Yes, maybe a little less. Those were rough measurements. I have to remove some stupid bins they put under there and then I can get a true measurement. It's going to be funky shaped to make use of all the room. I would be willing to drop down to 2 10's if the box volume will be more suited to the woofer of choice. I like the clean lines a square woofer will provide for aesthetics but realize they lack in some areas.

Last edited:
No need to bash what I am doing, I asked a simple question. I know audio brands are like car brands, everyone will stand up for their favorite and bash all the others. What if I just said 10's in small sealed space, would I have gotten the same sarcastic response? I guess thanks for your input.

The reason he is "bashing" or giving you a hard time is because "Square 10" ≠ Low or Crisp. Considering most 10's hold a Fs in an upper 30's or low 40's range.

Getting a 10" to hit "low" is difficult compared to a larger diameter driver.
Putting it into a sealed box only makes that issue more pronounced as a sealed box tightens the response further.
Getting a square subwoofer to sound "crisp" compared to a normal round driver is impossible, there is no comparison.

Maybe if you give us specifically which subwoofers you're looking at, the amp you want to power them with and the resistance you plan to wire at we might be able to help you drill down further.

4 Square subs in ~1Cu/ft enclosures with the proper amp will be loud, but not considered "low or crisp".

Last edited:
So I have been looking at the 10" 4 ohm dvc L7 but looking at the FS like you mentioned it is 37.5. Minimum sealed is .8cu and max is 1.25 so box size is right. So round subs are going to be tighter which is what matters. I listen to a lot of rock but also throw in quite a bit of everything else!! I want that punchy kick drum to really pound, especially when the double kick is pumping! Hence the sealed enclosure for better recovery. I guess I will start looking at round woofers with a lower fs.

Yes, maybe a little less. Those were rough measurements. I have to remove some stupid bins they put under there and then I can get a true measurement. It's going to be funky shaped to make use of all the room. I would be willing to drop down to 2 10's if the box volume will be more suited to the woofer of choice. I like the clean lines a square woofer will provide for aesthetics but realize they lack in some areas.

What vehicle? With 5 cubes you could do 3 10s ported.

What about SSA GCON's? They're about the same price.

3 Ported 10's or 2 Ported 12's? Definitely hit better than 4 L7 in a sealed enclosure IMHO. (Properly amplified of course)

The only reason this is getting out of control is I hear nothing but bad about prefab, upfiring underseat boxes. Why spend $250 for an enclosure that ***** and doesn't give you what you want!! Since I am going to do this myself why not go as big as possible!!! Ported enclosures are way over my head as far as designing a port that is correct, sealed seems to suit my skill level better!! I don't have enough height to run 12's or that's what I would do. It's going under the back seat of a Ram 1500. I just rough measured again and it looks like final cubes will be around 4 just guessing at woofer displacement. With good solid class D power available for a reasonable cost I don't see getting them (whatever goes under there)enough power will be a problem!!

What exactly is getting out of control other than your histrionics?

I vote 10" SSA GCON ported @ 32hz and build your box around 2 or 3 of them.

You can use something like https://subbox.pro/ to give yourself an idea of what will work for building a ported box based on the dimensions you have. Slot or Aero.

The only reason this is getting out of control is I hear nothing but bad about prefab, upfiring underseat boxes. Why spend $250 for an enclosure that ***** and doesn't give you what you want!! Since I am going to do this myself why not go as big as possible!!! Ported enclosures are way over my head as far as designing a port that is correct, sealed seems to suit my skill level better!! I don't have enough height to run 12's or that's what I would do. It's going under the back seat of a Ram 1500. I just rough measured again and it looks like final cubes will be around 4 just guessing at woofer displacement. With good solid class D power available for a reasonable cost I don't see getting them (whatever goes under there)enough power will be a problem!!

How much mounting depth are you working with? Besides cubic feet, mounting depth is usually a concern when picking the subs for under seat mounting.

Right sub right enclosure you can get a tight sealed like response.
It's typically a smaller ported box than most go for since most go for spl ported but you'll still get more output then sealed.You can run a small ported enclosure tuned for rock music and get that hard hitting sound you're looking for. You can see from the graph that kick drum is going to hit a lot harder in the ported box. 2 demon 10s both in 1.8 cubes one box is sealed the other is ported (yellow). Cabin gain was added. The ported box is tuned at 38hz
Listening mostly to rock I wouldn't worry to much with a low fs.
20200125_153435.jpg

sealed in a truck is horrible. We have thousands of posts of people doing builds in their truck getting absolutely nowhere because they dont understand the first thing about vehicle acoustics and cabin gain along with enclosure design/engineering. Forget deep, crisp or anything Just due to your chosen positioning and sub direction you'll have a rough time even trying to get bass louder than your door speakers because with a sealed box, you need a solid wall to reflect the bass off of to get any kind of sound and sound quality. Upfire, downfire no one got good results at all. The only solid proven performer that doesnt require giving up the rear seats is under the seat, woofers firing forward, port to the side yes you'll need a port because that allows you to load off the side passenger door which actually gives you bass. Its not even a matter of ported vs sealed its wheter you want bass or you want to waste money getting absolutely nowhere? yes countless of threads with people not getting any bass in their cars and countless installs i've fixed personally as well. Literally with all sorts of high dollar, high powered gear and installs possible and their setups sounded weak and muffled. barely louder than door speakers. Its how bad vehicle acoustics crush truck owner's bass dreams.

this is what you'll be wanting to do which is best acoustic wise in your car.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

SteelKiller

10+ year member
SteelKiller
Portland
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from