Distortion (speakers, and tweeters?)

Acoustic

Texas
Proud owner of a sub par system (can't complain, was my first one and relatively cheap). Specs:

Kenwood 6x9s (just the front door speakers, rears are still factory)

12 inch Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW12 sub

Sony XM-460GTX 600 watt amp

Some probox made for single cab trucks (apologies for not knowing the name).

Set of tweeters (again, don't know the name..was a gift)

Pioneer DEH-2400UB Head unit

All of that crammed into a Ford f150 2003 regular cab. Yeah, short on space for sure. Currently the only thing running off an amp is the sub as well. My only problem now is that when I crank the volume up pretty far (40ish), the bass (varies from song) will distort the speakers and what seems to be the tweeters as well. I know its all the front speakers and tweeters, because I am fading everything in that direction. I could get some bass blockers for the speakers but that wouldn't fix the tweeters. My idea (get ready for this, ha) is to turn the boosts down on the radio (treble, bass, mid, ect) and just use the amp to control the bass boost for the sub but I would need some assistance.

I understand that's a blob of text but i'd appreciate the help. Any suggestions/upgrades towards the system would be awesome (except for "trash it", I will when I get a vehicle that has more room). Considering throwing another 12 in there...

You're turning your volume up too high and causing your speakers to have a clipped signal. I would revisit your tune and be realistic with what your system is capable of doing.

I don't allow anything under 160hz to play on my front stage and some songs still clip without turning up all the way.

Reason why? The way the song was recorded. The bassline in these songs were recorded at 0db and was clipping the vocals and other higher frequency sound.

If that's the case, there's nothing that can be done other than playing another song.

It's not terrible distortion, mind you. But with a perfectionist like myself, I notice it. It's only there on intense bass notes as well. I do see what you are talking about though.

For future upgrades however, would it be smart to get another pair of speakers for the back (cancelling out the fade), hook them up to a small amp, and then build a new box for 2 12s?

I don't allow anything under 160hz to play on my front stage and some songs still clip without turning up all the way.
Reason why? The way the song was recorded. The bassline in these songs were recorded at 0db and was clipping the vocals and other higher frequency sound.

If that's the case' date=' there's nothing that can be done other than playing another song.[/quote']

I think I just lost a few IQ points reading that...

this is technical talk. Try your luck in the thunderdome. I'm sure there are plenty of simple topics you can engage in.
You seriously have no idea what you're talking about.

OP: Bass blockers would bandaid the problem a bit' date=' but if you are a "perfectionist" as you claim to be, you [b']need[/b] to amplify your highs. Utilize the xovers of the amp, and get heat out of your head unit, and clear the distortion out of your mids/highs. I amped my mids/highs well over a decade ago and now every vehicle gets a 4ch amp asap to clean up the sound.

You seriously have no idea what you're talking about.
i know what I'm talking about and what I described was simply a possibility to what was happening, based on what the OP said. It wasn't "the" problem, but a possible one.

You can't sit there and deny some songs are recorded that way.........

i know what I'm talking about and what I described was simply a possibility to what was happening' date=' based on what the OP said. It wasn't "the" problem, but a possible one.
You can't sit there and deny some songs are recorded that way.........[/quote']

Recording the bass of a track at -0db has nothing to do with distorting his mids/highs. Playing too low of a frequency on the mids/highs or pushing the built-in amp of the HU into distortion, however, will. Correlation is not always causation.

i know what I'm talking about and what I described was simply a possibility to what was happening' date=' based on what the OP said. It wasn't "the" problem, but a possible one.
You can't sit there and deny some songs are recorded that way.........[/quote']

Its amazing you can even type let alone come up with something so retarded.....

Keep_Hope_Alive Has the answer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nerd.gif.c6fa51ddf7ff75f1c0371fbc648f70ae.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.